Too scared to help a damsel in distress

• Thread starter verdigris
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the moral dilemma of whether a man who is too scared to help a damsel in distress is a coward or a survivor. Some argue that helping someone in need is important regardless of the risks, while others believe that self-preservation is the ultimate goal. The conversation also delves into the idea of helping based on the relationship with the person in need and the possibility of danger. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity of determining moral worth and the importance of considering individual circumstances.
verdigris
Is a man who is too scared to help a damsel in distress a coward or a survivor - should we admire his self-preservation skills (from an evolutionary point of view),detest his weakness, or both?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
verdigris said:
Is a man who is too scared to help a damsel in distress a coward or a survivor - should we admire his self-preservation skills or detest his weakness?

One should help anyone in trouble, if possible.

I admit, it's easy to only say it, since such an act requires a reasonable amount of courage.

But then again, the thought of being a lady's hero...tempting. :approve:

verdigris said:
Is a man who is too scared to help a damsel in distress a coward or a survivor
or both.

I just can't standby when I hear a woman screaming. I go on autopilot and respond without concern for myself.

And I run to the sound of gunshots. :rolleyes:

verdigris said:
should we admire his self-preservation skills (from an evolutionary point of view),detest his weakness, or both?

Why is detestation and admiration the only options given us? :confused:

And why can't I just sit there and listen to her screams? Or take part in the reason she is distressed?

Gelsamel Epsilon said:
And why can't I just sit there and listen to her screams? Or take part in the reason she is distressed?

Of course you can. But that would make you a psycho.

Should we admire my courage, or vigor?

Well, if the man is already "scared", then it may depend on the situation--such as (1) damsel surrounded by pack of wild dogs, (2) damsel on edge of cliff and man scared of heights, etc. So, it seems one can understand why "scared man" not help damsel.

Now, perhaps more interesting question--what do we think of man not scared that does not help damsel ? Seems to me man places less value on life of damsel than on life of man. Now, suppose man does help damsel, does this mean man places more value on damsel than on man ? I claim no, I claim man always helps damsel because it makes man feel good to do so.

verdigris said:
Is a man who is too scared to help a damsel in distress a coward or a survivor - should we admire his self-preservation skills (from an evolutionary point of view),detest his weakness, or both?
Self preservation is rarely what we judge the moral worth of action on.

verdigris said:
Generalization and abstraction is the road to folly.

It has to be judged on hte specific circumstances.

From the given knowledge of the problem at hand, I must say he is a coward. I only say because the other choice, self preservation, and its reasoning are self defeating. In the light of evolution, self preservation is trumpet by self procreation. Because all men die, procreation is the only way to truly preserve some sort of self. So unless saving the damsel == death, which is not the apparent case, he is a coward. But then again when saving a damsel = death is a calculated opinion. So can morals be based on opinion?

DaveC426913 said:
Generalization and abstraction is the road to folly.
support this please

This is the way I see it, I know it's over-logical for a decision you probably make in a split second, but I've thought about this often and have a system all figured out ( :rofl: ):

I think it's important to have these things figured out just in case...

If helping the person is, while dangerous or unpleasant, not life-threatning to me:
- always help, even if complete stranger or animalIf there's a chance that helping the person might be life threatening to me:
- help if it's a child
- help if it's a close friend
- help if it's a best friend or lover
- help if it's family
- (I'd probably help an animal, even though it makes no sense, I know)

If helping the person is very life threatening (like if someone has them at gunpoint):
- help if it's family
- help it's a best friend or lover
- help if it's a child

If person is me:
- HELP ME YOU COWARD!I wouldn't risk my life for a complete stranger, for all I know they are a serial rapist... I also don't think it makes a difference if it's a man or a woman, people are people.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
This is the way I see it, I know it's over-logical for a decision you probably make in a split second, but I've thought about this often and have a system all figured out ( :rofl: ):

I think it's important to have these things figured out just in case...

If helping the person is, while dangerous or unpleasant, not life-threatning to me:
- always help, even if complete stranger or animal

If there's a chance that helping the person might be life threatening to me:
- help if it's a child
- help if it's a close friend
- help if it's a best friend or lover
- help if it's family
- (I'd probably help an animal, even though it makes no sense, I know)

If helping the person is very life threatening (like if someone has them at gunpoint):
- help if it's family
- help it's a best friend or lover
- help if it's a child

If person is me:
- HELP ME YOU COWARD!

I wouldn't risk my life for a complete stranger, for all I know they are a serial rapist... I also don't think it makes a difference if it's a man or a woman, people are people.
remind me not to leave a child with you, at least not while gunpoints are around...

it depends on the situation, I've seen girls scream for help just to have their boyfriends get into fights :/

and knew one guy who'd jump into all fights thinking he was being a hero :uhh: let the cops handle it, that's what they get paid for, that's what what they LOVE :rofl:

Last edited:
There's a quandry when the interviening hero is some degree of a black belt in Karate. He or she is a lethal weapon and will kill when forced into a life/death situation with no way out.

Should someone like this use their skill to defend the honour or save the purse of a screaming lady/gent who hasn't had the sense to learn self defence?

baywax said:
He or she is a lethal weapon and will kill when forced into a life/death situation with no way out.

:rofl:

this isn't the movies, most people know better and run. now that it is a lady and her honor is of course of the utmost importance i'll tell you how to handle the situation, talk off your immaculate white riding gloves and strike the cowardly miscreant while saying "dear rouge sir, i challenge you to a dual with musket or lance tomorrow at the rise of dawn, do be most promt" :rofl:

honestly any real 'lady' doesn't get in that situation, at the worst I've seen a lady stand up and say 'i'm not doing this here'. the point being both parties don't let it get that far.

light_bulb said:
:rofl:

this isn't the movies, most people know better and run. now that it is a lady and her honor is of course of the utmost importance i'll tell you how to handle the situation, talk off your immaculate white riding gloves and strike the cowardly miscreant while saying "dear rouge sir, i challenge you to a dual with musket or lance tomorrow at the rise of dawn, do be most promt" :rofl:

honestly any real 'lady' doesn't get in that situation, at the worst I've seen a lady stand up and say 'i'm not doing this here'. the point being both parties don't let it get that far.

I don't know. There's more and more incidents where these middle aged women are being beaten into the ground and into the hospital for the money they have on them. Sometimes 18 bucks, sometimes less. In one case there's a whole detachment of detectives hunting down the "miscreants" who perpetrated a henous crime like this.

The perps are as cowardly as the people who motivate and outfit a suicide bomber. Society is breeding some insane effing weirdos.

It is also true that there are by-standers standing by and either doing nothing or simply continuing their own business. More ill bred members of an effed society. While education and better fail-safes for "throw away children" may help to stem this kind behavior... what do you think about supporting the NRA in the mean time?

I would be tickled pink to see the headline:

"Granny Downs Home Invaders With Her Uzzie"

Of course the story wouldn't mention the "collateral damage" of the neighbor's dog, children and goldfish.

Last edited:
you need to go through firearms training and get a permit signed by the assistant attorney general in most states to carry a concealed weapon. as far as I'm concerned if your willing to go through the process you have every right to carry a weapon to protect yourself.

"Is a man who is too scared to help a damsel in distress a coward or a survivor?"

Certainly he is a survivor.
No involvement = Survive to see another day.

If a man who can't swim is watching a damsel drowning, his fear is well-founded.
The best he can do is drown himself too.

Everyone has fear. That does't make everyone a coward.

I am a nihlist. What do you think of me?

raolduke said:
I am a nihlist. What do you think of me?
i think if you were really a nihilist you wouldn't of bothered to make that post since it would be pointless...

"Is a man or woman who is too scared to help a damsel or man in distress a coward or a survivor?"

I don't know, but they would probably be the same as someone who does nothing about civilian casualties of war. We like to say we care, but we don't really because it's not us or our loved ones. We just like to be seen to care so it all depends who is watching you watch the person in distress. Such a pity that our existence is all about keeping up appearances.

one should help everyone they see if their is a chance for BOTH of you to come out of the whole collision safely or at least alive

If a man who can't swim is watching a damsel drowning, his fear is well-founded.

see in this ocasion their would have been no point in even trying

WhatIf...? said:

see in this ocasion their would have been no point in even trying

He can still alert someone who can swim, (boat or float) to the predicament of the drowning person. Fear freezes the actions of a person in a situation like this. If they have the ability to act with calm and determination, even in the face of these personal fears, that will work toward winning the survival of the damsle in distress.:!):tongue2: :approve:

1. What is "Too scared to help a damsel in distress"?

"Too scared to help a damsel in distress" is a phrase that is often used to describe a situation where someone is too afraid to help someone in need, particularly a woman who is in a vulnerable or dangerous situation. It can also refer to a larger societal issue of people being too scared to intervene or stand up for others.

2. What causes people to be too scared to help a damsel in distress?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might be too scared to help a damsel in distress. These can include fear of physical harm, fear of legal repercussions, fear of being judged by others, or a lack of knowledge on how to help or intervene in the situation. It can also stem from societal norms and expectations that discourage people from getting involved in the problems of others.

3. How can we overcome the fear of helping a damsel in distress?

One way to overcome the fear of helping a damsel in distress is to educate ourselves on how to intervene effectively and safely. This can include learning self-defense techniques, understanding the laws and protocols in our communities, and practicing empathy and compassion towards others. It is also important to challenge societal norms and expectations that discourage people from helping others and to actively promote a culture of caring and support.

4. What are the consequences of not helping a damsel in distress?

The consequences of not helping a damsel in distress can be serious and far-reaching. In the immediate situation, the person in distress may not receive the help and support they need, potentially putting them in further danger. On a larger scale, if people continue to be too scared to help others, it can perpetuate a culture of apathy and inaction, leading to societal issues such as victim blaming and injustice. It can also have a negative impact on our own mental and emotional well-being, as we may feel guilt or regret for not taking action.

5. What can we do to encourage others to overcome their fear and help a damsel in distress?

We can encourage others to overcome their fear and help a damsel in distress by being role models ourselves. This can include speaking up and taking action when we see someone in need, promoting awareness and education on how to intervene safely and effectively, and creating a supportive and understanding environment where people feel comfortable asking for help or offering assistance. It is also important to acknowledge and address the root causes of fear and inaction, such as sexism, racism, and other forms of discrimination, in order to create a more just and compassionate society.