Why is American bread so soft?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of American bread and its softness compared to other types of bread. The participants discuss the possible reasons for this, such as the use of more yeast or the addition of ingredients like milk. They also mention Wonder Bread as a quintessential American bread and share their experiences with different types of bread.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am sorry for the American vs Europe discussions, but it is an interesting topic of discussion. At least for us border crossers :)

American bread is so incredibly soft and I always try to get the variety with the most resistance. How do they make the bread so soft? Are things put into achieve this or are things taken out?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think they probably put in more yeast, this produces more gases therefore causing it to be more airy, and therefore softer

chow

If I recall the recipies I have used properly(?) adding/using milk in the initial dough softens the loaf.

EDIT but I could just be remembering it wrong, it's been years...

yep that could do it as well i think

Everything American is soft!

Not really, I just couldn't pass...

hey man, at least you won't chip a tooth, unlike french bread

Really though I don't eat a ton of bread, so I never pay attention

Originally posted by Zantra
hey man, at least you won't chip a tooth, unlike french bread

Really though I don't eat a ton of bread, so I never pay attention

Hey I grew up on Wonder Bread white. I'm a born and breaded American.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Hey I grew up on Wonder Bread white. I'm a born and breaded American.

Wonder Bread, yes that is the ultimate American bread :)
I just had Russian bread the other day and that was on the other side of extreme, I think they let it ripe for two weeks before selling it in the store.. :P

Once I was trying to bake a loaf of Raisin Bread, made a mistake and added waaayyyyy to much Yeast, OYE! the baked loaf was servile as a lump of poundage for holding the door open, YOIKS! it weighed a proverbial 'ton' and was really really SOLID like a Rock.

Live, and hope you learn...to live.

1. Why does bread become soft?

Bread becomes soft due to a combination of moisture and starch. When bread is baked, the heat causes the starch in the dough to swell and form a gel-like structure. This structure traps moisture, making the bread soft and chewy.

2. How can I prevent bread from becoming too soft?

To prevent bread from becoming too soft, make sure to properly store it in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in a plastic bag or container, as this can trap moisture and make the bread soggy. Instead, store it in a paper bag or bread box to allow for some air circulation.

3. Why does bread become too soft after being frozen?

When bread is frozen, the water in the dough expands and forms ice crystals. When the bread is thawed, these ice crystals melt and can make the bread soggy and soft. To prevent this, make sure to wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before freezing.

4. Can I make bread less soft?

Yes, there are a few ways to make bread less soft. One method is to bake the bread at a higher temperature for a longer period of time. This will create a thicker crust and a drier interior. Another method is to add ingredients like oats or nuts to the dough, which will absorb some of the moisture and make the bread less soft.

5. Is soft bread safe to eat?

Yes, soft bread is safe to eat as long as it has been properly stored and does not show any signs of mold or spoilage. However, it is important to consume soft bread within a few days, as it can become stale and lose its freshness over time.