Should Children Have Unmonitored Cell Phones?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Young
In summary, people seem to agree that cell phones should be equivalent to alcohol, with some restrictions depending on the age of the user. If a 16-18 year old is responsible with their cell phone use, they are considered an adult and are free to do as they please. If they are not responsible, they might lose the privilege to have one.

Where would you draw the line for your child to have a cell phone

• 3-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-8

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 9-11

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 12-15

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • 16-18

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Evo said:
You can't imagine how handy it is. I can call her when she's at the pool, at a school football game, at the movies (oops), outside talking to friends. I can reach her when she's at the mall. It gives us both freedom.
I really liked the mall thing. I would often agree to pick her and her friends up and as I approached the mall, I would call and let them know to head for the exit and be waiting for me. FABULOUS!

So YOU'RE the reason people are on their cell phones 24 hours a day :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Computer science news on Phys.org
evo and i think alike. i don't know where the rest of you are from... but they're so convienient and its not hard to make sure your kid doesn't abuse them. texting is convienient for your friends cause you can talk without phones ringing so you can be in quiet places. pix isn't quite as useful per se, but it sure is fun!

i think the biggest problem with cell phones are when people use them in the car. (whozum!) otherwise they're really good to have around.

Evo said:
Ah Moonbear, that's the entire point of giving your child a cell phone...CONTROL. MUWAHAHAHA!
You can't imagine how handy it is. I can call her when she's at the pool, at a school football game, at the movies (oops), outside talking to friends. I can reach her when she's at the mall. It gives us both freedom.
I just think, "What would I do if it was my mom calling me?" Yep, I'd have the ringer off..."oops mom, didn't hear it, the ringer must have gotten turned off accidentally somehow."

I really liked the mall thing. I would often agree to pick her and her friends up and as I approached the mall, I would call and let them know to head for the exit and be waiting for me. FABULOUS!
Oh, see, I grew up with the rules, "Meet me at the mall entrance at 5:00, not a moment later," which meant we better be there at 4:55 so as not to risk being late. I think I was late once, and the agony of listening to my mom lecture about how worried she was that we were late and she didn't know where we were, etc, was enough to keep me from ever being late again. My friends were the same way. Once, while going to college, some friends from HS were going to meet up one weekend, and one of my friends was on time...that's when we realized how bad we were that we were actually worrying about her because she was on time instead of 10 minutes early! :rofl:

Because of cell phones, there are fewer and fewer pay phones, and a lot don't work (believe me, I know). Also, she doesn't have to be standing in a strange place alone at a payphone.
I wouldn't have my kid going to places where they might have to be in a strange place alone. Yes, the lack of payphones does seem to force the need to have cell phones. I hate that.

Plus, she's not dumb and doesn't abuse her phone.
That's important. Some kids are more responsible than others (my first comment in the thread). If you have a very responsible kid, it won't be a problem to give them a phone, they won't abuse it. But, even with my sister and myself, we were raised by the same parents, but like night and day in terms of responsibility. My sister would have been calling everyone on it all day if she had one in school, while I'd have been hesitant to even call my mom on it for fear of spending a penny more than I needed to.

edit: Thanks Gale! SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAMES...that alone is enough reason to give your child a phone. I can't count the hours I saved calling her and telling them where in the parking lot I was stuck.
See, another reason to not like football. :tongue: I don't know, I never went to school football games. I don't even know who did other than the football players and the cheerleaders. I'm not even sure anyone ever knew when the games were other than homecoming, and that was only because there was a week of other activities leading up to it and the homecoming dance that everyone attended.

I'd adopt Gale in a hearbeat. :!)

Yes Pengwuino, I promote cell phone use. :tongue:

It's funny, the Child of Evo sleeps like a rock. Nothing wakes her up. She doesn't have to be at school until 9:30am, so I am long gone before she has to get up. She sleeps through the alarm half the time. I will get calls from the school saying that they've been calling her cell phone for two hours trying to wake her up without an answer and just want to ask if I know if she's sick or just sleeping. :rolleyes:

Moonbeeeee, is that rebelious behaviour I smell?
"I just think, "What would I do if it was my mom calling me?" Yep, I'd have the ringer off..."oops mom, didn't hear it, the ringer must have gotten turned off accidentally somehow.""
:D

Honestly though, I grew up with kids who had cell phones, whenever their parents called, they DID pick up, but made up excuses or lied about where they are if it was something of that nature... So, if their mom said "i need you here in 10 minutes", my firend was usually there in 20 minutes, so there was a reason for the phone in the first place.

EDIT: why am I still on pf :*( I should be studying for tomorow's history and biology test!

Evo said:
It's funny, the Child of Evo sleeps like a rock. Nothing wakes her up. She doesn't have to be at school until 9:30am, so I am long gone before she has to get up. She sleeps through the alarm half the time. I will get calls from the school saying that they've been calling her cell phone for two hours trying to wake her up without an answer and just want to ask if I know if she's sick or just sleeping. :rolleyes:

They have her cell phone number?!??! outrageous!

I'm more shocked that the school would bother to call to give a kid a wake-up call! That's not their job. And, yeah, if she's late, don't call her, call her mother! What if she was playing hooky? So, they call her cell phone and she tells them she's late because she overslept the alarm clock, and the parents never know she's showing up late?

I'm bad about oversleeping my alarm, but I sure don't expect anyone I work with to call and wake me up. I just set it early enough that I wake up in time, or set a few extra alarms so I can't sleep through ALL of them.

Once I was in high school, my mom left before I did in the morning, but she made sure my sister and I were both awake before she left (when nothing else worked, she blasted country music on the stereo! She's a mean, mean, mean mommy! :cry:) They started the elementary schools the earliest so parents could wait with their young kids at the bus stops before needing to leave for work.

Pengwuino said:
They have her cell phone number?!??! outrageous!
Well of course they do! It's how they can reach her!

Funny, sometimes I forget and call her during school and she'll answer and we'll be talking and then I hear her saying something to her teacher and I"ll say "oh, you're in class, I'll let you go" and she'll say, "oh, no, that's ok we're not doing anything, he was just asking me about something". She's in one of those alternative schools. It's the best school in the world though, I wish they had those when I was a kid. :frown: I think there will be 20 kids in her graduating class. Only 92 kids in the entire high school. It's an experiment, part of the public school system, they're very progressive here. Her older sister also got in. You have to write an essay on why you should be there and pass a bunch of interviews. It is so cool.

Moonbear, it's not a normal school, and they know she can be trusted.

Last edited:
What kinda weirdo place do you live Evo :grumpy:

moose said:
Moonbeeeee, is that rebelious behaviour I smell?
"I just think, "What would I do if it was my mom calling me?" Yep, I'd have the ringer off..."oops mom, didn't hear it, the ringer must have gotten turned off accidentally somehow.""
:D
Just a little bit. o:) I was actually a good kid, so when my mom would check up on me too often or question me about what I was doing, it really annoyed me because I hadn't done anything to deserve mistrust.

Honestly though, I grew up with kids who had cell phones, whenever their parents called, they DID pick up, but made up excuses or lied about where they are if it was something of that nature... So, if their mom said "i need you here in 10 minutes", my firend was usually there in 20 minutes, so there was a reason for the phone in the first place.
That's not a reason for a phone, that's a reason to not let them out without a parent with them.

EDIT: why am I still on pf :*( I should be studying for tomorow's history and biology test!
Hey, yeah, especially for that biology test, or else you're going to have to answer to me! :grumpy: :biggrin: Good luck.

Moonbear said:
Hey, yeah, especially for that biology test, or else you're going to have to answer to me! :grumpy: :biggrin: Good luck.

I was thinking, what if someone on PF happened to be one of my teachers

That would be odd!

So... how about those inducible operons eh?oh and
"Just a little bit. I was actually a good kid, so when my mom would check up on me too often or question me about what I was doing, it really annoyed me because I hadn't done anything to deserve mistrust.
"

well, with a cell phone your mom wouldn't have to check up on you so often because you would always be reachable ;)

moose said:
well, with a cell phone your mom wouldn't have to check up on you so often because you would always be reachable ;)
Are you kidding? Do you know how long it took to train my mom to stop calling daily when I was in college? I learned the joy of answering machines then. I just let the machine take her calls...I was out of the room a lot it seems o:) You know, in class, studying at the library, attending club meetings, that sort of thing. I certainly wasn't sitting right there next to the phone while ignoring my mother. o:) If I had a cell phone, I'd have never managed to train her properly! She now understands, call once a month only if I don't reply to her emails. It works much better. :approve:

If I had a child, I'd want them to have a cellphone when they start going out by themselves unsupervised, just so I can get in touch if nessecary.. I voted 12-15.