Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toonces the driving cat, and SNL

1. Jun 3, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since no one bit on this in the Driving Pet Peeves thread, I decided to post for our Tounces fans. I love Toonces! :biggrin:
    http://www.catass.com/toonces/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Toonces!!!!!! :rofl: I had forgotten about him.

4. Jun 3, 2005 #3
    That just cracked me up, thanks.

I think I'll let one of my cats take a spin tonight. He loves to sit in the back window and swat at the headlights behind him.

5. Jun 3, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks for the re-post, Ivan. I couldn't look at the other one because it requires a RealPlayer that doesn't work on OS9.
    I haven't watched these yet, but at least they appear on my screen. I certainly will when I have more time. A little busy right now. (As long as you're reposting things, I also can't see Tsu's member photo. I'd love to see what kind of woman can handle the likes of you. :tongue: )

Are you sure he's not just flipping off the other drivers?

6. Jun 4, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

J'adore le Tooncinator!!

7. Jun 4, 2005 #6
    I can't view it. :frown:

8. Jun 4, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I still do not see how this is funny...

9. Jun 4, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its a strange thing. As we age we find that increasingly so, we will laugh at just about anything.

You see, Toonces represents our free spirit; that part of us that is desperate to escape the responsibilities in life. The car, the symbol for freedom, allows our inner self, Toonces, to abandon real life - cats can't drive - and to become the dangerous, reckless rebel that we learn to suppress in order to conform. But, alas, the story is all too familiar. To abandon our responsibilities is flirt with disaster - he can't drive very well - and the inevitable result is seen time and again. Now how is that not funny?

10. Jun 4, 2005 #9

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that was deep. Who knew Toonces was an archetype? I'd like to see this expanded into a full-blown, 50 page thesis. :biggrin:

But really, I remember watching Toonces at 13 or so, and I thought it was hilarious. I was disappointed that none of these Toonces clips feature the full version of his theme song. At the end, when they sing "Toonces, the driving cat!"-- in fact, at just the moment when the word 'cat' is about to be sung-- there comes in the voice of a guy who's not singing, but just speaking in wondered amazement, "How does he reach the pedals?" But my disappointment is more than made up for by the fact that I'd never before seen the magnificent "Toonces the Cat's World of Nature."

11. Jun 4, 2005 #10

Mk

Download RealPlayer 8: http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/3778. When I had 8, it worked really well.

12. Jun 4, 2005 #11
    Frickin scary.

13. Jun 4, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This from the school of many cows. :biggrin:

14. Jun 5, 2005 #13

Thats only scary when the prevailing winds shift, at about 5:30 from october to march. Rest of the time you never smell them. Unless you live in the Ag dorm. But thats highest on the hill, so we don't have to worry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?