Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tooth extraction?

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    I had one wisdom tooth taken out the other day and it went okay with the usual pain and headache after the extraction. During the extraction, all the dentist did was inject an anaesthetic and started pulling out the tooth with all her strength. Is this how dentists extract a tooth? She had to hold my jaw to keep it still which exerted a very hard grip. So she pressed on the rest of my teeth very hard and I felt pain in those teeth (especially the front) days after the extraction but not great pain. Is this common? I only had one tooth taken out. Some people may have 4 taken out on the same day, meaning more time pressing the rest of the teeth and more pain on them. Could she have done something to prevent this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

By the way, what's that with these 'wisdom teeth'? Another unresolved PF mystery, or am I just unimformed? :tongue2:

Luckily, I never had dental problems. The only time I got a pair of teeth pulled out was for the sake of braces, to make the growth correct or something like that. I remember the dentist with a psycho-look sweating all over me while pulling these out. Didn't feel a thing, of course, but it was kinda weird. Looked like he was trying to pull out a screw with a pair of scissors. :rolleyes:

4. Feb 10, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In my case I had one wisdom tooth extracted (in preparation for othordontic work), and the dentist put his foot on the armrest of the chair, and pulled with both hands on the pliers, and leaned back pushing with his leg. :biggrin:

I didn't have any pain or headache. That seems unusual.

Then again, I had a root canal without anesthesia, and in fact I generally decline anesthesia for dental work and superficial surgery as it is unnecessary. I just manage to control pain very well. :biggrin:

5. Feb 10, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Whoa, just? :biggrin:

6. Feb 10, 2007 #5

Evo

It's becomimg more common to give general anesthesia when extracting wisdom teeth as they are usually more difficult to extract than other teeth. Anyone that I know that had two or more extracted at the same time were "put to sleep". It's a light anesthesia and they allow it to wear off right about the time that the extraction is over.

7. Feb 10, 2007 #6
    Mind if I ask my own question? About a week ago one of my wisdom teeth "erupted." Today I can clearly feel parts of the tooth with my tongue. I'm scheduled to go to the dentist next week. When is it a proper time to have the tooth extracted? Before it has even erupted (from x-ray work?) or some time after it has? I am totally clueless about this whole process, and my mom never had hers come out.

8. Feb 10, 2007 #7

Astronuc

It a skill like riding a bike or swimming. One learns how to do it - then one just does it.

9. Feb 10, 2007 #8

Evo

They only need extracting if they are causing problems. Somethimes they become "impacted" meaning that they are stuck inside the jaw, usually trapped by bone, and cause intense pain and/ or infection. Other times there is not enough room in the mouth for them and they start pushing other teeth out of the way causing biting and chewing problems and need to be removed to keep the other teeth in alignment.

10. Feb 10, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, impacted just means they're growing in the wrong direction. Mine were impacted, even though two of them had partially erupted. They were growing angled toward my other molars and that was the problem, because they were damaging the other teeth. Had they come in straight, there'd have been no problem (I have a plenty big enough mouth).

Nonetheless, when they start to erupt, it's a good time to have the dentist check that they are growing in a normal direction, and if they haven't erupted by the time you're about 21 and the dentist hasn't previously checked their position, it's time to find out if they're impacted.

With so many people getting braces nowadays, if their teeth are very crowded, often the orthodontist will opt to remove them before installing the braces.

11. Feb 10, 2007 #10

Evo

I believe the term "impacted" means that the tooth will not completely erupt due to being blocked and that blockage is usually due to them coming in at the wrong angle, sometimes there just isn't enough room. In my case, the two removed were blocked by bone. The child of Evo had two blocked by bone and one by a tooth.

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t1_wisdom_tooth.htm

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  12. Feb 10, 2007 #11
    Another problem I have had after getting the wisdom tooth extracted is I seem to have food stuffs getting stuck in the place where my tooth once was.

13. Feb 10, 2007 #12

Evo

For awhile, food will collect in the hole were the tooth was, A good vigorous mouth rinsing is the best thing. I also use a soft tooth brush over the area to loosen and remove any food that is stuck inside the gum

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  14. Feb 11, 2007 #13
    Would this problem persist throughout my life or will the socket disappear over time? If the former than it seems extracting a tooth has great costs as well. Moreoever, over the years the tooth near the socket could decay more easily.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  15. Feb 11, 2007 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just wondering if my teeth will move back any to fill the gap where the wisdom teeth were taken out. I've finally got some space back there. Before that, I had I almost had teeth coming out of my ears!

16. Feb 11, 2007 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These are a godawful menace. Especially the part where you have to get the toothpaste onto a Q-tip!

17. Feb 11, 2007 #16

verty

Homework Helper

The socket will disappear. I had two upper incisors removed because apparently there was not enough room for all the teeth in my upper jaw. They were removed just by pulling with pliers (having been anaesthetised of course), but he didn't use other teeth as a fulcrum. I wouldn't think that should be done. Perhaps your dentist was getting tired and decided to lever them out.

18. Feb 11, 2007 #17

russ_watters

Pivoxa15, you had it eady - if they are impacted, they need to break through the bone with a chisel to get to them!

19. Feb 11, 2007 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, over here it's becoming less and less common (in fact more and more discouraged) to use general anaesthesia for wisdom tooth extraction. I believe it's due to unnecessary risks with airway compromise.

20. Feb 11, 2007 #19

Evo

In the US, most dentists will refer you to an oral surgeon and you will have an anesthesiologist in attendance. Most dentists don't want to take the risk of trying to extract an impacted tooth. Too many complications can occur and they'd be subject to a lawsuit.

Oddly just a few days ago a 24 year old man died while having two wisdom teeth extracted by a dentist under local anesthesia. If he had gone to an oral surgeon and had an anesthesiologist monitoring him and emergency staff present, he'd probably still be alive. Instead all he had was a dentist and a hygenist and he wasn't being monitored.

"LEAWOOD, KAN. -- A Kansas City man died at a Metro dentist's office and his family wants answers. The attorney for Dr. Harold Wallin would not do an on-camera interview but gave us some insight into what happened.

Anthony Brown's family said he was so full of life. So when he went in to Dr. Wallin's Leawood office last week to have two wisdom teeth pulled no one ever thought it would be the last time would see him alive.

Dr. Wallin's attorney said Brown, 24, started having a reaction to the sedation immediately. The attorney who would not go on camera also said that Dr. Wallin and his nurse called 911 and started CPR right away. 30 minutes later Brown was dead.

Dr. Brett Ferguson knows the dangers of oral surgeries

"Most patients have a dental fear anyway," Dr. Ferguson said. "To make it easier we offer IV sedation. Not only that but you are getting teeth out you are getting a local anesthetic you are having respiratory and conscious responses effected by IV sedation."

But even with that Ferguson said incidents like Brown's are rare. "

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

21. Feb 11, 2007 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I think sedation is frowned upon nowadays too. Obviously if the surgery requires it, the densist will refer the patient to a dental hospital where general anaesthesia will be considered, but in normal dental surgeries I believe local anaesthesia (without sedation) is the norm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?