Tooth extraction?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
I had one wisdom tooth taken out the other day and it went okay with the usual pain and headache after the extraction. During the extraction, all the dentist did was inject an anaesthetic and started pulling out the tooth with all her strength. Is this how dentists extract a tooth? She had to hold my jaw to keep it still which exerted a very hard grip. So she pressed on the rest of my teeth very hard and I felt pain in those teeth (especially the front) days after the extraction but not great pain. Is this common? I only had one tooth taken out. Some people may have 4 taken out on the same day, meaning more time pressing the rest of the teeth and more pain on them. Could she have done something to prevent this?
I think there are different methods for pulling teeth out...
Back when I was little I had to have some teeth pulled for braces :cry:
I swear the guy had to pull and pull until the tooth popped out.

Now about 4 years ago I had my wisdom teeth taken out ( mine were all fully grown out). I was expecting the same horrible procedure, however, this dentist (not the same guy as before) was able to get the tooth out in less than 10 seconds. He didn't even have to pull with alot of force.

To this day I still don't know how he did it and I didn't want to ask. It was over quick and thats all that mattered. Even thought it was quick, I never want to go through that again.

Well the way he did was I think he scraped part of the gum away around the tooth, then hit it real hard with some object to dislodge it (breaking the root i guess??). Then he just took a plier or something to gently move it out without effort.

radou
Homework Helper
I take it that you haven't had yours removed? Do you know the risks of not doing so? Is it just that they are hard to brush and so over time are more prone to decay? Is that the only risk? You could have fillings for your wisdom teeth couldn't you?

I have 3 wisdom but took only 1 out because that one did not grow properly in the first place.

They aren't even getting out yet.

Some of my friends encountered strong pain from time to time, due to the wisdom teeth breaking through the ice. Some had to remove them, some didn't, it all depends on how aggressive they are. That varies from person to person.

Last time I had a molar removed I thought he was going to put his foot on my chest at one point, the nurse had to hold me down, they aren't coming out without a fight generally.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My wisdom teeth removal was really easy but I went to an oral surgeon and had full IV sedation. I went in at 7:30 am, and they whisked me into the room and a bunch of techs worked like a pit crew hooking me up with monitors and starting my IV. I was out like a light.

I was expecting pain afterwards, but didn't have any - just a little bit of soreness for a day or two when eating. The worst part was that I puffed up a little on one side on the third day, but that was completely gone by the end of the week.

verty
Homework Helper
Sorry, I made a mistake. If you look at http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZTD0TCGJC&sub_cat=525 [Broken], I had my upper first premolars removed.

The socket just seemed to close up before long, also the teeth seem to have moved closer together (there is no gap now, my canines were displaced upwards but they have come down into the gap with a little help).

Last edited by a moderator: