Tooth implanted in eye restores sight

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary, a man's blind eye was restored after doctors inserted his son's tooth into the eye socket.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is rather incredible.

An Irishman blinded by an explosion two years ago has had his sight restored after doctors inserted his son's tooth in his eye, he said on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080228/ts_afp/irelandbritainhealthoffbeat

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Holy cow! I wonder if stem-cell research will get us closer to rebuilding tissues without such radical procedures?

I read this story too! Yeah, incredible! Amazing!

Thats just a wonderful story.

I don't get it? It's just using a tooth/donated bone to re-build an eye socket?

I've heard of techniques to re-grow an entire jaw using a bit of bone for a seed and a track.

Andy Resnick said:
I've heard of techniques to re-grow an entire jaw using a bit of bone for a seed and a track.
They can't see out of their jaw though.

I wonder if they will half to brush between movies?

Evo said:
They can't see out of their jaw though.

(from the article):

"The technique, pioneered in Italy in the 1960s, involves creating a support for an artificial cornea from the patient's own tooth and the surrounding bone."

I don't think the technique had anything to do with restoring lost ocular function- the patient apparently had a functional retina and lens. The surgery merely created a mechanical support for an artifical cornea. If they wanted to do something cool, they could have used titanium and made the dude look like the Terminator.

Now, this is cool:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/news/news.asp?offset=1650

Doctors grow new jaw in man's back

Andy Resnick said:
(from the article):

"The technique, pioneered in Italy in the 1960s, involves creating a support for an artificial cornea from the patient's own tooth and the surrounding bone."

I don't think the technique had anything to do with restoring lost ocular function- the patient apparently had a functional retina and lens. The surgery merely created a mechanical support for an artifical cornea. If they wanted to do something cool, they could have used titanium and made the dude look like the Terminator.

Now, this is cool:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/news/news.asp?offset=1650

Doctors grow new jaw in man's back

That's what I was trying to figure out, and the way I was interpreting. But, it's incredibly difficult to figure out from that article alone.

There was a story like this some years ago about a man in Italy, IIRC. The kicker was that they had used the man's eye-tooth.

Tsu said:
There have been numerous accounts of this procedure. Here is one from 2004 done in Singapore.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/01/1091298579329.html

Thanks! That one explains it better. So, it's more like an artificial lens/pupil with a plastic "lens" being supported by the tooth.

Moonbear said:
Thanks! That one explains it better. So, it's more like an artificial lens/pupil with a plastic "lens" being supported by the tooth.

Pretty ingeniusly bizarre, huh? :biggrin:

Here's another ingeniusly bizarre trick I learned for being able to see. When I'm in the shower and not wearing my glasses, and I need to read the shampoo or conditioner bottle, I make a tiny little pinhole with my index finger and I can read almost any size writing quite clearly through the pinhole. It's quite a handy little trick - not to mention a real party-stopper at the old folks home. :biggrin:

I think it's fantastic that they are able to rebuild the eye socket and restore sight in cases where the retina hasn't been damaged. I can't think of any loss of sense that would be worse than loss of sight. It's a crude method, but I think it's wonderful.

Last edited:
This procedure must have been taken from the bible.

waht said:
This procedure must have been taken from the bible.

Nah, that would involve using a rib rather than a tooth. :biggrin:

Heck, even if it leaves you with really crappy visual acuity, if it's just enough to help you see shadows and let you walk around without bumping into things or falling down stairs, that would be better than nothing. I would love to see a photo of the result of the procedure though!

They don't really explain why they take out part of the jawbone too if they're only using a bit of the tooth, unless it's to retain the blood vessels.

Moonbear said:
Nah, that would involve using a rib rather than a tooth. :biggrin:

Yea, the eye for an eye tooth for a tooth thing.

Tsu said:
Pretty ingeniusly bizarre, huh? :biggrin:

Here's another ingeniusly bizarre trick I learned for being able to see. When I'm in the shower and not wearing my glasses, and I need to read the shampoo or conditioner bottle, I make a tiny little pinhole with my index finger and I can read almost any size writing quite clearly through the pinhole. It's quite a handy little trick - not to mention a real party-stopper at the old folks home. :biggrin:

You've reinvented a pinhole camera (camera obscura). Another good trick, when you watch tv and they digitally obscure some naughty bit (teasers for sweeps week and all that...) is to squint your eyes- optically, you are generating a low-pass optical filter and can usually reconstruct the blurry bits.

Andy - I don't want my naughty blurry bits reconstructed... I'm too old.

Then there is this take on the operation: I wonder if his quality of life actually increased?
Just because he can see some blurry images isn't going to be much help in getting thorugh life. Right or wrong?

jim mcnamara said:

Then there is this take on the operation: I wonder if his quality of life actually increased?
Just because he can see some blurry images isn't going to be much help in getting thorugh life. Right or wrong?

That's a very good question! Was the operation for the benefit of the patient, or for the benefit of the docs who get the publicity?

jim mcnamara said:

From the articles posted, they can read, get around on their own, watch tv, etc...

1. How does a tooth implanted in the eye restore sight?

A tooth implanted in the eye restores sight by acting as a support structure for a prosthetic lens that replaces the damaged or missing natural lens. The tooth is surgically implanted into the eye socket and serves as an anchor for the prosthetic lens, allowing light to properly focus on the retina and restore vision.

2. Is a tooth the only material that can be used for this procedure?

No, a tooth is not the only material that can be used for this procedure. Other materials such as synthetic or biological materials may also be used as a support structure for the prosthetic lens. However, a tooth has been found to be the most successful and long-lasting option for this type of surgery.

3. How is the tooth selected for the implant?

The tooth selected for the implant is typically a healthy and stable tooth that is removed from the patient's own mouth. It is important for the tooth to be strong enough to support the prosthetic lens and not cause any further complications. The tooth is also matched in size and shape to fit the patient's eye socket.

4. Can anyone with vision loss benefit from this procedure?

No, not everyone with vision loss can benefit from this procedure. This type of surgery is typically recommended for those with vision loss due to a damaged or missing natural lens. It may not be suitable for those with other underlying eye conditions that may affect the success of the surgery.

5. What is the success rate of this procedure?

The success rate of this procedure varies depending on the individual case and the skill of the surgeon performing the surgery. However, studies have shown a high success rate with this type of surgery, with many patients experiencing significant improvements in their vision after the tooth implantation.