Optimizing Toothpick Egg Drop Project Design

In summary, the conversation is about building an egg drop project using only toothpicks and glue. The project must weigh 40 grams or less and the egg must be dropped from a height of three meters. The speaker has attempted to build it with a cube and squares made of toothpicks glued to it. They are looking for suggestions for modifications to make it successful, as the current design is a rectangular prism with two squares sticking out of the bottom. The speaker is open to scrapping the project for a better design if necessary, but would prefer to make adjustments due to time constraints.
Britmer

Homework Statement

I have to build a egg drop project out of only toothpicks and glue. I can have a plastic bag to hold the egg (and avoid cleaning up a mess). It has to weigh 40 grams or less. The egg must be dropped from a height of three meters. I attempted to build it. I had a cube to hold the egg and underneath I had squares made of toothpicks glued to it. Is there any suggestions for modifications that I should make for a successful drop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right now, it looks like a rectangular prism with two squares sticking out of the bottom. Also, If I have to, I'm not against scrapping my project for a better design. But I rather just make a few adjustments to my design. I'm rather pressed for time.

What is the "Toothpick Egg Drop Project"?

The Toothpick Egg Drop Project is a scientific experiment in which participants design and construct a device using only toothpicks and glue to protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

What is the purpose of the "Toothpick Egg Drop Project"?

The purpose of the Toothpick Egg Drop Project is to apply principles of physics and engineering to create a structure that can withstand the impact of a falling egg. It also encourages creativity and problem-solving skills.

What materials are needed for the "Toothpick Egg Drop Project"?

The only materials needed for the Toothpick Egg Drop Project are toothpicks and glue. However, participants may also use additional materials such as tape, rubber bands, or paper as long as the majority of the structure is made of toothpicks and glue.

What factors should be considered when designing the "Toothpick Egg Drop Project"?

When designing the Toothpick Egg Drop Project, it is important to consider the weight of the egg, the height from which it will be dropped, and the materials used. Additionally, participants should think about the structure's stability and the distribution of weight.

How is the success of the "Toothpick Egg Drop Project" measured?

The success of the Toothpick Egg Drop Project is measured by whether or not the egg remains intact after being dropped from a designated height. The device that successfully protects the egg from breaking is considered the most successful.