Building a Toothpick Model to Hold a 16 lb Bowling Ball - Tutorials and Tips

In summary, the person needs to build a toothpick model strong enough to hold a 16 pound bowling ball. They are asking for suggestions on where to find a tutorial or if anyone has any tips. They also ask for clarification on whether the model needs to suspend the bowling ball or just lift it off the table, and if they are allowed to stack toothpicks into bundles and glue them together. Another person suggests checking out Victoria's Secret for toothpick models based on intersecting pyramids, which are known for their stability.
kateg4
I need to build a toothpick model that can hold a 16 pound bowling ball.
I have no idea where to begin, does anyone know of somewhere I can find a tutorial or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could clarify this a bit.

Does the bowling ball have to be suspended from the ceiling or just lifted off the table?

If it is just to hold it off the table, are you allowed to stack the toothpicks into bundles and lay them horizontally like a mat?

Are you allowed to glue the toothpicks together?

If you want toothpick models check out Victoria's Secret.

base it on intersecting pyramids, which are very stable

1. How many toothpicks are needed to build a model strong enough to hold a 16 lb bowling ball?

The number of toothpicks needed will depend on the design and structure of the model. However, on average, it is recommended to have at least 500 toothpicks to ensure a strong and stable structure.

2. What is the best type of glue to use for building a toothpick model?

The best type of glue to use for building a toothpick model is wood glue or white glue. These types of glue have a strong bond and will hold the toothpicks together securely. Avoid using super glue or hot glue as they can dry too quickly and may not provide enough strength for the weight of the bowling ball.

3. How can I ensure that my toothpick model is structurally sound?

To ensure that your toothpick model is structurally sound, it is important to have a strong base and evenly distribute the weight of the bowling ball. You can also reinforce the structure by adding additional toothpicks in key areas or using diagonal supports.

4. Are there any tips for making a toothpick model that can hold a heavy weight?

Yes, there are a few tips to keep in mind when building a toothpick model that can hold a heavy weight. First, make sure to use enough toothpicks and create a sturdy base. Also, consider using different types of toothpick joints such as a cross or double cross joint for added strength. Additionally, you can add layers of toothpicks and glue to increase the overall strength of the model.

5. Can I use other materials besides toothpicks to build a model strong enough to hold a 16 lb bowling ball?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used to build a model strong enough to hold a 16 lb bowling ball. Some alternatives to toothpicks include popsicle sticks, skewers, or even wooden dowels. Just make sure to choose a material that is strong and sturdy enough to support the weight of the bowling ball.