Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top 10 Tyrants That Have Gotta Go

1. Apr 7, 2003 #1
    Can anyone think of a list of top 10 Tyrants that should be removed by whatever means, hopefully peacefully, ie by the all-action and effective United Nations. Failing that, special ops by the CIA and others or direct military action by the United States.

I can think of a few dictators we could do without:
    1) Kim Jong II of North Korea
    2) Osama bin Laden (ok, not a leader of a country but still a tyrant and a terrorist)
    3) President Mugabe of Zimbabwe
    4) Fidel Castro, Cuba
    5) President Bashar al-Assad of Syria
    6) King Faisal, Saudi Arabia (though he's our friend, so we can give hima bit longer to go)
    7) The dictator of Burma, Hakka Ne Win

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2003 #2
    Ariel Sharon, anyone?

4. Apr 7, 2003 #3
    ^^^ I hate Sharon, but that's going too far...

-North Korea
    -Sierra Leone
    -Congo
    -Tajikstan
    -Uzbekistan
    -Libya
    -Algeria
    -Burma
    -Zimbabwe

Whatever you may think of Castro, he's been pretty damn good for Cuba.

5. Apr 7, 2003 #4
    If you want peace, you've got to get rid of Sharon, period.

6. Apr 7, 2003 #5
    Or just move out, and let the far right establish Greater Israel.

I agree, but that doesn't make him one of the worst dictators in the world; far from it. The Israelis did even elect the guy, G-d have mercy on them.

7. Apr 7, 2003 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not sure who (if anyone) is in control in Yemen, but that one needs fixing.

8. Apr 7, 2003 #7
    Today's quiz: how many of the above countries are in the Coalition of the Willing? I honestly don't know and am curious.

9. Apr 7, 2003 #8
  10. Apr 7, 2003 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'll see if I can find a list.

11. Apr 7, 2003 #10
    One for the list would have to be George Bush Jr.

12. Apr 7, 2003 #11

drag

Science Advisor

Get a grip...

There is no God, there's only reality.
    But if there was one - may it have mercy on the
    cowards and fools that will be slaughtered in
    their beds because they refused to see it coming.

How about libarating France from Shiraq...:wink:
    Clearly the French are fine and educated
    people and are themselves surprised at their
    country's positions because of all the muslim
    arabs flooding it.

Live long and prosper (most of you :wink:).

13. Apr 7, 2003 #12
    wow, i don't know that he makes the top 10; but drag is defiantly tyrannical. :wink:

14. Apr 7, 2003 #13
    On what planet? He is no Bin Laden or saddam but have you ever heard of the Cuban Missle Chrisis?

15. Apr 7, 2003 #14

drag

Science Advisor

And ?

16. Apr 7, 2003 #15
    i am curious where he is going with this one as well.

17. Apr 7, 2003 #16
    Yasser Arafat without doubt aswell.

Pretty much agree with the rest of your list N_Quire. Anyone saying George Bush is pathetic.

18. Apr 7, 2003 #17

Well Castro WAS their leader when they began building and buying and Getting free missles from the russians. The missles could hit almost anywhere in the U.S and they would not hesitate to use them. They had them pointed at us and ready to fire! Are you implying he is a good leader or that he is not bad? Or even worse are you defending him? He could have killed thousands! Good thing Kenedy was in office when that happened, he was a great president. His diplomatic and military plans worked wonders.

19. Apr 7, 2003 #18
    As long as Sharon is in power, there will be no peace. His power is based soley on fear and terror.

20. Apr 7, 2003 #19
    I would argue against that and I would ask things like "WHAT IS YOUR PROOF?!" or "SAYS WHO" but I guess that could be saved for the religion or philosophy forum.

21. Apr 7, 2003 #20

FZ+

I guess we were all counting down the seconds before someone says that...

Lemme see:
    N Korea
    Pakistan and India
    Israel and Palestine : yep, Arafat and Sharon, together
    Iran

But not really gotta go. More go as soon as safely possible. If all of the above went suddenly, we might be in a worse state than we started.

His military advisors actually told him to shoot first. He had to expressed order them not to open fire. The real hero of the show was perhaps Krushchev, for being a coward. And thus, saving the world.
    Not often you hear that, do you?
    Nah... not really. They were short ranged missiles that can hit Florida. The longer ranged missiles the soviets had could already hit all of the US. And not hesitating to use is the basis of MAD. The US would not have hesitated to use their missiles either - and we had a massive advantage in weapon numbers and type.
    They weren't quite ready to fire either. They were dismantled before then. The army plan was to invade Cuba before they became ready to fire. Good thing they didn't.

Castro, to the cubans was not all that bad a leader. At least as the soviets go, he wasn't bad. There is no doubting that his country is better off today than it was under the dictator Batista. Still not that good, but not in the same league as north korea etc. Castro actually offered an alliance with the US, but was forced into a binding trade agreement with Russia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?