Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top Decay

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    I am currently looking at a diagram of a top and anti top decay. The anti top decays into a weak boson and an anti bottom and the weak then decays into an electron and electron anti-neutrino. On the other side the top decays into a H+ particle and a bottom.

What is this H+ particle, is it related to the Higgs Bosons and is it proven?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where?

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    Doesnt matter now, it was a google picture which wasnt objective, sorry for the post.

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4

Edi

H+ particle associates for me with a .. hydrogen ion - basically a proton..

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    Thanks.
    And I meant a tauon anti-tauon.

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6
    The charged Higgs boson, in supersymmetric extensions to the standard model and two-Higgs doublet models.

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7
    Does that mean that the Higgs boson is proven?

9. Feb 1, 2010 #8
    what do you mean "proven"?

There is no connection between Feynman diagrams and what is seen in experiments... I can make up any model and thus Feynman diagrams I want... what makes you think that just because there is a certain Feynman diagram that must reflect the physical reality?

10. Feb 4, 2010 #9

turin

Homework Helper

tau decays to b,H? There are at least two things wrong with that, I think.

11. Feb 15, 2010 #10
    one of the rules of Feynman diagrams is that it has to represent a possible process that can occur in nature.

12. Feb 15, 2010 #11
    in one of my books, i have that t decays to a W which then decays into an anti muon and muon neutrino.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook