1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the function f= sin(4pix)cos(6pix) on torus T^2=R^2/Z^2

a) prove this is a morse function and calculate min, max, saddle.

b) describe the evolution of sublevel sets f^-1(-inf, c) as c goes from min to max
    2. Relevant equations
    grad(f)= <partial x, partial y>

show hessian matrix not equal to zero

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I understand

1st need to find critical points. so take grad and set equal to zero

2nd use hessian matrix with those critical values that i found before and see if non zero

BUT, i dont know what torus T^2=R^2/Z^2 looks like. What does the T^2 mean? I believe R^2/Z^2 is just the xy graph because z has been removed. so its like 3D but if remove z then 2D

so is this a square flat torus?

once I know the shape then I can do the part b part since all you have to do is fill the shape with "water" and see how the topology changes within the critical values.

So is this correct? Since its cos and sin how do i know which critical values to pick and are within the domain.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would interpret that notation as [0,1] x [0,1] where the edges are identified with each other, in the same way other objects are defined with the X/Y notation.

Everything that is in your torus is relevant. The functions have a period of 1 (and a smaller one but that is not important for this point), so identifying -0.8, 1.2, ... with .2 for example works nicely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted