How does the production of a top quark pair occur in a proton-proton collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a feynman diagram for pp→\bar{t} t interaction in particle physics. The traditional interaction, \bar{p} p→\bar{t} t, involves a quark from the proton annihilating with an antiquark of the same flavor in the antiproton, creating a gluon that dissociates into the \bar{t} t pair. However, in the pp collision, there are no antiquarks to produce the gluon. The conversation suggests looking into "gluon fusion" for more information on this step.
maximus123
Hi there,

My homework problem is on particle physics and asks me to draw a feynman diagram for [itex]pp→\bar{t} t[/itex] interaction, which is what I think the LHC is planning to do (or possibly is doing).

For the more traditional interaction; [itex]\bar{p} p→\bar{t} t[/itex] I have this diagram;

antiproton.jpg

In this case a quark from the proton annihilates with an antiquark of the same flavour in the antiproton into a gluon, which then dissociates into the [itex]\bar{t} t[/itex] pair.

Since in the [itex]pp[/itex] collision there are no antiquarks to annihilate with each other producing the gluon which decays to the top quark pair, how is this step achieved?

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine that probably there is something that happens that creates the quark anti quark pair which can then annihilate but all I can think of is a W boson decaying but I'm not sure if that is right as I don't think they will be of the same flavour.

Anybody??

I'm not very familiar with particle physics, but you might do a search on "gluon fusion" and see if that helps.

What is "Top quark pair production"?

Top quark pair production is a process that occurs in high energy particle collisions, where two top quarks are created simultaneously and then quickly decay into other particles.

Why is the study of top quark pair production important?

The study of top quark pair production is important because top quarks are the heaviest known elementary particles and have a unique role in the Standard Model of particle physics. By studying their production and decay, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.

How is top quark pair production studied?

Top quark pair production is studied using large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), where particles are accelerated to high energies and then collided. Detectors are used to measure the particles produced in these collisions, allowing scientists to study the properties of top quarks.

What are some of the challenges in studying top quark pair production?

One of the main challenges in studying top quark pair production is the rarity of this process. Top quarks are extremely heavy and unstable, making them difficult to produce and study. Additionally, the complex decay patterns of top quarks make it challenging to accurately measure their properties.

What are some potential applications of studying top quark pair production?

Studying top quark pair production can have a wide range of potential applications, including improving our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and energy, developing new technologies for medical imaging and cancer treatment, and informing the search for new particles and forces beyond the Standard Model.