Exploring the Size of Top Quarks

• Thread starter cbd1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quarks
In summary, particle accelerators have observed and measured the mass of top quarks, but their size has not been detected or attempted to be detected due to their quick decay. It is interesting to note that a single quark can have more mass than a whole proton, but it is likely smaller in diameter since no measurement has been made. While it may be difficult to determine the exact size of a quark, the LHC may provide more information. The top quark's yukawa coupling, close to unity, suggests that there may be something unique about its properties.
cbd1
I know that particle accelerators have created and observed top quarks. Also, that they have measured their mass. However, I do not find if we have detected their size (or even attempted to detect their diameter, it would be hard to because they decay so quickly). I find it interesting that a single quark can have more mass than a whole proton. It would be logical to me to assume that the top might actually be larger in diameter than a proton. Note: I understand that we currently treat quarks as "point particles", but I'm concerned with if it could actually be possible that the top be larger than a proton, i.e. do we have proof that they are smaller than a proton?

Physics news on Phys.org
No measurement has been made, but it is almost certainly smaller than a proton (which contains multiple quarks).

Since no quarks can be stand alone, it seems that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to get a size.

Last edited:
Probably the form factor would have some influence in the shape of the "particle shower" that comes after the decay of the top, so I'd bet that it is pretty a point particle and that, if it is not, the LHC will be able to say.

Now, it is reasonable to suspect that something is going on with the top quark, if only because of its yukawa coupling, 0.98..., very near unity.

What is the size of a top quark?

The size of a top quark is incredibly small, on the order of 10^-20 meters. This is roughly 100,000 times smaller than the size of a proton.

How was the size of top quarks determined?

The size of top quarks was determined through various experiments, including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists use this particle accelerator to collide protons at high speeds, allowing them to observe the behavior of top quarks and calculate their size.

Why is the size of top quarks important?

The size of top quarks is important because it provides insight into the fundamental building blocks of the universe. By understanding the size of top quarks, scientists can better understand the forces that govern the behavior of particles and potentially uncover new physics.

Can top quarks be observed directly?

No, top quarks cannot be observed directly due to their incredibly short lifespan. They decay almost immediately into other particles, making it difficult to observe them directly. However, scientists can infer their existence and properties through the behavior of other particles.

Is it possible for the size of top quarks to change?

The size of top quarks is a fundamental property and is not expected to change. However, scientists are constantly conducting research to further understand these particles and any potential changes to their size or behavior.