What are the top 10 physics journals besides Physical Review?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the top journals to get published in for physics research. While Physical Review is a popular choice, Science and Nature are considered the top journals for many areas of physics. Each journal in the Physical Review series specializes in a different aspect of physics and PRL is known to have a more general audience. Some people refer to it as "Physical Review Lottery" due to its perceived cliquey nature. Applied Physics Letters is also mentioned as a difficult journal to get published in.
plxmny
Gentlemen and Lady,

Assuming that Physical Review is the #1 journal to get published in,
what would the top 10 be?

Love,
Plxmny

Physics news on Phys.org
plxmny said:
Assuming that Physical Review is the #1 journal to get published in, what would the top 10 be?

No it's not. For many areas of physics, it is Science and Nature that are the #1 journals to publish in. For high energy physics, it is PRL.

Zz.

I didn't know that! Thanks, ZZ. I really didn't think I would get a serious answer in the General Discussion forum.

You singled out PRL. But what about PR(A-Z)?

plxmny said:
I didn't know that! Thanks, ZZ. I really didn't think I would get a serious answer in the General Discussion forum.

You singled out PRL. But what about PR(A-Z)?
PRL is meant to be written for a general physics audience, based on specilisations in the Phys. Rev. Series...

PRA: Molecular, Atomic and Optical.

PRB: Condensed Matter and Materials.

PRC: Nuclear.

PRD: Particles, Field, Gravity, Cosmology.

PRE: Statistical, Nonlinear and Soft Matter.

(Also, PRL has :tongue: been called Physical Review Lottery a few times -- and people have been pissed with it because it can be a bit cliquey.)

There are a lot more which are harder to get into though, eg. Applied Physics Letters.

PRZ: that's by invitation from the Queen, only :tongue: :wink:

1. What are the top ten physics journals?

The top ten physics journals are typically ranked based on factors such as impact factor, citation index, and reputation within the scientific community. Some of the commonly recognized top ten physics journals include Physical Review Letters, Nature Physics, Science, and Nature Materials.

2. How are the top ten physics journals ranked?

The ranking of top ten physics journals is often based on their impact factor, which measures the average number of citations received per paper published in a journal. Other factors that may be considered include the number of publications, citation index, and reputation within the scientific community.

3. What are the benefits of publishing in a top physics journal?

Publishing in a top physics journal can bring recognition and credibility to a researcher's work, as well as increase their chances of being cited and noticed by other scientists in their field. Additionally, top physics journals often have a wide readership, which can help reach a larger audience for the research.

4. How do I choose which top physics journal to submit my research to?

Choosing the right journal to submit your research to can be a crucial decision. Some factors to consider include the journal's scope and subject areas, impact factor, and the types of articles they typically publish. It is also helpful to look at recent publications in the journal to see if your research aligns with their content.

5. Are open-access journals considered in the top ten physics journals?

Open-access journals, which make articles freely available online, are becoming increasingly popular in the scientific community. While there are some highly reputable open-access physics journals, they may not always be included in the top ten rankings as they may not have been around as long or have as high of an impact factor as traditional journals.