Top Ten Technologies that Must Die

russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Isn't it recently tested technology?
Well, I said "chemically." Technologically its a whole 'nother ball of wax. :wink:

Seriously, heat something and it decomposes. I made methane from popsicle sticks in 9th grade physical science. Piece of cake. Going from that to a system you can build and make money from is a huge deal. I don't know where such technologes stand.

The hippies mainly concern themselves with 'can it be done?' They don't generally take it any further to look at whether its really technologically/economically feasible.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Well, I said "chemically." Technologically its a whole 'nother ball of wax. :wink:
Seriously, heat something and it decomposes. I made methane from popsicle sticks in 9th grade physical science. Piece of cake. Going from that to a system you can build and make money from is a huge deal. I don't know where such technologes stand.
The hippies mainly concern themselves with 'can it be done?' They don't generally take it any further to look at whether its really technologically/economically feasible.
That's why I mentioned what I had read while living in Calgary some years back, they had just been completing five year testing on a system for coal burning that produced basically only a small amount of residual solid ash, nothing else but the electricity after that.

Just can't seem to find a reference.......yet........

I think I am along the party lines here with everyone else.

Would agree on the Nukes.

Coal-Based power
Agree with what most have said. There are ways to make it cleaner, and they have developed ways to mine it with less impact as well. I would agree that in time alternative fuel sources for energy is needed...but that will come in time.

ICE
Agree that until alternative fuel sources and technologies are more proven then ICE is here to say...and it will remain here until large HP style alternatives come out...your deisel is still one of the most efficient engines for heavy duty purposes.

The light bulb...
Again technology is getting there...but they are a ways away form disappearing.

Landmines-
Well I agree they need to go...however until warfare is a thing of the past these will be around.

Manned spacecraft
"rickety and dangerous" Really our space craft are safer than the aircraft we fly in on a daily basis. They are checked more regularly, there are more sensors on it than a monkey has hair on its backside. And the track history of the space program is pretty darn good in comparison to some other aspects of life.

Prisons -
way off base on that one...

Cosmetic implants.
Well the money is there and people are generally vain. And we dont have technology to substitute yet. Not like he is talking about.

DVD's
Again as stated what to substitute.

To me it sounds like he does not have a grasp of the concept that what we have is basically a median between what we had and what we are going to have. Sure 5-10 years down the road we may have a compact mini DVD that is the size of a quarter and can store 20 hours of viewing video....but we dont have it yet...and they are working on it....so it will get here. But the DVD is a good step between VCD's and that mini-DVD.

So much for my thoughts on MIT folks eh?