Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top ten words not in the dictionary

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

From the Merriam Webster dictionary website. (Anyone have any others?)

What a lovely bunch of vocabularians (persons who make up new words) you are! Lasterday (refers to any day before today) we squinched (action required to fit something into a space that is slightly too small) a schmiglet (a small unit of measurement) of your awesomtastic (so wonderful the words just meld in your mouth) one-of-a-kind entries into this space in preparation for our Top Ten reveal. With so many chizzy (awesome, super, happening) creations to choose from, we admit to becoming a bit flusterpated (a state of being flustered that's so intense, one's actions and words become bound up) and fahoodled (confused, esp. when trying to think of too many things at once). We craughed (to cry and laugh simultaneously), we troddled (to wander around without knowing of doing so), and finally decided to use the schwack (a large amount) of multiple entries received as the basis for the Top Ten—this is, let's not forget, all about favoritism.

From the thousands of submissions we received, here, then, are the ten words (not in the dictionary) entered the most often:

Top Ten Favorite Words (Not in the Dictionary)

1. ginormous (adj): bigger than gigantic and bigger than enormous

2. confuzzled (adj): confused and puzzled at the same time

3. woot (interj): an exclamation of joy or excitement

4. chillax (v): chill out/relax, hang out with friends

5. cognitive displaysia (n): the feeling you have before you even leave the house that you are going to forget something and not remember it until you're on the highway

6. gription (n): the purchase gained by friction: "My car needs new tires because the old ones have lost their gription."

7. phonecrastinate (v): to put off answering the phone until caller ID displays the incoming name and number

8. slickery (adj): having a surface that is wet and icy

9. snirt (n): snow that is dirty, often seen by the side of roads and parking lots that have been plowed

10. lingweenie (n): a person incapable of producing neologisms

http://www.m-w.com/info/favorite.htm

also check out http://www.m-w.com/info/favorite_not_prev.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm fowarding this to fiends right now....

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure 'ginormous' is in my dictionary. I'll check later.

Chav, chavtastic and chavette recently made it into the OED, I'm told. Yay!

5. Jun 15, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm still confused as to why webster put ain't in the dictionary... :confused:

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5

Evo

At least it starts the definition with this disclaimer "Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated"

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So are you telling me my doctor lied to me when he said i needed to chillax for my high blood pressure????

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I love it! The definition is even awesomtastic! :rofc: (rolling on floor craughing)

9. Jun 15, 2005 #8
    Yeah I think the only word on that list I may have used would be "ginormous"

Woops I have probably used w00t before!

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9

jma2001

Gold Member

twerd (n): a cross between a twit, a nerd, and a turd. Most commonly found in AOL chat rooms. Usage: "Shut up, you little twerd!"

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awsometastic! :rofl:

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11

Evo

I like twerd.

13. Jun 15, 2005 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My fave: 'craptastic'.

14. Jun 15, 2005 #13

SOS2008

Gold Member

G'dangit! This is trivalerious!

15. Jun 16, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm more a fan of "twunt" myself, but I won't go into that one.

16. Jun 16, 2005 #15
    I have not heard of those weird words except the third one, very common among us here,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?