Top ten words not in the dictionary

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the Merriam Webster website has listed some new words that are not in the dictionary. Some of the words are "chav, chavtastic, and chavette." Another word that is new to the website is "lingweenie."
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
From the Merriam Webster dictionary website. (Anyone have any others?)

What a lovely bunch of vocabularians (persons who make up new words) you are! Lasterday (refers to any day before today) we squinched (action required to fit something into a space that is slightly too small) a schmiglet (a small unit of measurement) of your awesomtastic (so wonderful the words just meld in your mouth) one-of-a-kind entries into this space in preparation for our Top Ten reveal. With so many chizzy (awesome, super, happening) creations to choose from, we admit to becoming a bit flusterpated (a state of being flustered that's so intense, one's actions and words become bound up) and fahoodled (confused, esp. when trying to think of too many things at once). We craughed (to cry and laugh simultaneously), we troddled (to wander around without knowing of doing so), and finally decided to use the schwack (a large amount) of multiple entries received as the basis for the Top Ten—this is, let's not forget, all about favoritism.

From the thousands of submissions we received, here, then, are the ten words (not in the dictionary) entered the most often:

Top Ten Favorite Words (Not in the Dictionary)

1. ginormous (adj): bigger than gigantic and bigger than enormous

2. confuzzled (adj): confused and puzzled at the same time

3. woot (interj): an exclamation of joy or excitement

4. chillax (v): chill out/relax, hang out with friends

5. cognitive displaysia (n): the feeling you have before you even leave the house that you are going to forget something and not remember it until you're on the highway

6. gription (n): the purchase gained by friction: "My car needs new tires because the old ones have lost their gription."

7. phonecrastinate (v): to put off answering the phone until caller ID displays the incoming name and number

8. slickery (adj): having a surface that is wet and icy

9. snirt (n): snow that is dirty, often seen by the side of roads and parking lots that have been plowed

10. lingweenie (n): a person incapable of producing neologisms

http://www.m-w.com/info/favorite.htm [Broken]

also check out http://www.m-w.com/info/favorite_not_prev.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm fowarding this to fiends right now...

I'm pretty sure 'ginormous' is in my dictionary. I'll check later.

Chav, chavtastic and chavette recently made it into the OED, I'm told. Yay!

I'm still confused as to why webster put ain't in the dictionary... :confused:

yomamma said:
I'm still confused as to why webster put ain't in the dictionary... :confused:
At least it starts the definition with this disclaimer "Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated"

So are you telling me my doctor lied to me when he said i needed to chillax for my high blood pressure?

Evo said:
awesomtastic (so wonderful the words just meld in your mouth)
I love it! The definition is even awesomtastic! :rofc: (rolling on floor craughing)

Yeah I think the only word on that list I may have used would be "ginormous"

Woops I have probably used w00t before!

twerd (n): a cross between a twit, a nerd, and a turd. Most commonly found in AOL chat rooms. Usage: "Shut up, you little twerd!"

Awsometastic! :rofl:

jma2001 said:
twerd (n): a cross between a twit, a nerd, and a turd. Most commonly found in AOL chat rooms. Usage: "Shut up, you little twerd!"
I like twerd.

My fave: 'craptastic'.

G'dangit! This is trivalerious!

jma2001 said:

I'm more a fan of "twunt" myself, but I won't go into that one.

I have not heard of those weird words except the third one, very common among us here,

What does "Top ten words not in the dictionary" mean?

"Top ten words not in the dictionary" refers to a list of words that are not officially recognized or included in any dictionary, but are commonly used and understood by people.

Why are these words not in the dictionary?

These words may not be in the dictionary due to their recent creation or emergence, their informal or slang nature, or because they are used in a specific context or region.

Can these words be added to the dictionary in the future?

Yes, these words can potentially be added to the dictionary if they become widely used and accepted by the general population. Dictionaries are constantly updated and new words are added all the time.

Are these words considered "real" words?

While these words may not be recognized by official dictionaries, they are still considered real words as they convey meaning and are used in everyday language by many people.

What is the purpose of listing these words?

The purpose of listing these words is to showcase the evolving nature of language and to highlight words that may not be formally recognized, but are still commonly used and understood by many people.