Is Theoretical Physics Progressing Slower Than Experimental Physics?

In summary: Summary: In summary, to find influential physicists in theoretical physics, one can look at the list of ISI highly cited researchers or the names of young scientists invited to attend the Lindau Nobel laureate meetings. Some notable names in the field include Sabrina Gonzalez Paterski, Andrew Strominger, and Xi Yin. Other places to look for top researchers include prestigious universities and research institutes around the world.
warhammer
TL;DR Summary
In current times, who are some of the most influential physicists working in Theoretical Physics and doing groundbreaking research?
In respect to the above question, I also have a follow up question. Is progress in Theoretical Physics somewhat slow currently as compared to Experimental Physics?

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
Summary: In current times, who are some of the most influential physicists working in Theoretical Physics and doing groundbreaking research?

In respect to the above question, I also have a follow up question. Is progress in Theoretical Physics somewhat slow currently as compared to Experimental Physics?
Considering you have labelled this with an "A" tag = post-graduate level,
you must used to doing research by now, what have you done so far to
try and find answers for yourse3lf ?

davenn said:
Considering you have labelled this with an "A" tag = post-graduate level,
you must used to doing research by now, what have you done so far to
try and find answers for yourse3lf ?
Oh I really apologise. I thought that the tag here was used to indicate the range of the question. I'm an undergraduate (first year) myself. Must I delete this post and make a new one with the correct tag to receive responses? Please let me know

I changed the tag to (I) but it is still a valid question. What did you figure out so far?

warhammer said:
Summary:: In current times, who are some of the most influential physicists working in Theoretical Physics and doing groundbreaking research?

Warhammer,

I am sure you will find some of the top theoretical physicists in the list of ISI highly cited researchers. Of course this may not include younger physicists but it will give you a list of more established physicists whose research has made impact. I haven't gone through it but you can have fun reading all of their profiles.

https://recognition.webofsciencegroup.com/awards/highly-cited/2019/

Another option for you to find the up and comers/young generation of physicists is to find the names of the young scientists invited to attend the Lindau Nobel laureate Meetings. These young scientists are some of the worlds top talent and you will certainly be looking at a next generation leader in theoretical physics here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindau_Nobel_Laureate_Meetings

For example, Sabrina Gonzalez Paterski is considered a leading theoretical physicist despite being only 27 years old right now. She was invited to the Lindau Meeting in 2012 which would have made her 19 yrs old at the time. Here is her profile,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrina_Gonzalez_Pasterski

If your feeling ambitious, here is one of her papers on so called Electromagnetic Memory. By the way this paper was cited by Steven Hawking the next year found here. She is citation number 52 in hawking's paper. Leonard Susskind, another famous physicist, is citation number 53. Her co-author and supervisor is Andrew Strominger who is a prize-winning physicist having won the Dirac Medal and Breakthrough Prize for his research into quantum gravity. Interestingly another one of Strominger's doctoral students did very well. His name is Xi Yin and has won the New Horizons in Physics Prize, which is awarded to junior researchers with a prize amount of 100 000$.

I can name many more places you can look. Take a look at the graduate student list for the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton University. In fact any Ivy League in the US, the Max Planck Institute for theoretical physics, Cambridge University, Chinese Academy of Sciences, the IOFFE institute, Weizmann institute, the perimeter institute. You will find top researches all over the world.

Good luck with your search and please let us know of any theoretical physicists that you find! :)

Last edited:

1. Who are the top theoretical physicists?

The top theoretical physicists are individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics and have made groundbreaking discoveries or advancements in our understanding of the universe. Some of the most well-known names in this field include Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Max Planck, Niels Bohr, and Richard Feynman.

2. What makes a theoretical physicist "top"?

A theoretical physicist is considered "top" based on their contributions and impact on the field. This can include groundbreaking theories, experimental discoveries, and influential publications. Additionally, their reputation and recognition within the scientific community also play a role in determining their status as a top theoretical physicist.

3. What are some of the key theories developed by top theoretical physicists?

Some of the key theories developed by top theoretical physicists include Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the force of gravity and its effects on the fabric of space-time, and Hawking's theory of black hole radiation, which suggests that black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate.

4. How do top theoretical physicists contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Top theoretical physicists contribute to our understanding of the universe by developing and testing theories that explain various phenomena and behaviors of the universe. They also work to unify different theories and concepts to create a more comprehensive understanding of the universe and its workings.

5. What are some current research areas of top theoretical physicists?

Some current research areas of top theoretical physicists include string theory, which attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature, and quantum gravity, which aims to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. They also continue to study and explore topics such as dark matter, dark energy, and the origins of the universe.