1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topics in General Chemistry 2

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    I'm planning on taking a second semester general chemistry course in the spring, and I'm wondering what I should study before hand. Based on RateMyProfessor, my teacher is gonna be super hard. I took the first semester general chemistry course and I got an A in it, but that was last fall. Basically I'm wondering what topics are going to be assumed to be known by me and what I need to know to understand the material.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what is the exact syllabus, but in my experience things that most people struggle with when learning chemistry are concepts from math and physics, that they are expected to understand.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    Well! Certainly expect to have a lot more math in general chemistry 2 than 1 but the math is very basic...algebra 1, and logarithms. There will be tons of equations. What separate champs from chumps is the intuitive understanding of the equations, variables and basic concepts pertaining the use of those equations to solve problems. From chem 1, I would go over everything from stoichiometry, periodic trends, acids/bases and electrolytes, thermochemistry, nomenclature, gases ( e.g. henry's law etc ) and some basic chemical bonding concepts. If you try to play the plug and chug game, you are screwed but if you take time to understand the concepts and the intuition behind them you will be just fine. Good luck.

PS : Know you units, they are important and last but not least most often when you don't know what to do, go the moles... ;-)

5. Dec 14, 2014 #4
    Well I don't really have too much difficulty with math or physics. Are there any concepts specific to chemistry you think I should know? If it helps this is the description of the first semester course from my school:
    Includes the study of atomic structure, nomenclature, chemical reactions and equations, stoichiometry, thermochemistry, chemical bonds and structures.
    and this is for the second semester:
    Covers the study of liquids and solids, reactions and properties of solutions; discusses equilibrium, chemical kinetics, acid-base theory, thermodynamics, oxidation and reduction, and electrochemistry.
    Sorry I know those descriptions aren't too specific, but hopefully it helps.

Will I need to know nomenclature/naming really well? I think thats what I struggled with the most.

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5
    In my previous post I have already mentioned what topics have a carryover from 1 to 2. As far as nomenclature goes it will be essential especially in acids and bases and also you might encounter problems sometimes where you are supposed to find the molar mass of a compound. You will given just the name of the compound and then you will have to figure the formula to look up at the periodic table to proceed with the problem, for e.g. Calcium Nitrite etc. Not at all difficult but you certainly need to know your nomenclature and charges. A strong foundation of general chemistry 1 will serve you well in 2.

7. Dec 14, 2014 #6

462chevelle

Gold Member

I'm also taking gen chem 2 in the spring it includes Liquids, Solids, and Intermolecular forces, Solutions,Chemical Kinetics, Equilibrium, Acids and Bases, Aqueous Ionic Equilibrium, Free-Energy and Thermodynamics, Electrochemistry, and Radioactivity and Nuclear Chemistry.

Chem 1 was Matter measurement and problem solving, Atoms and Elements, Molecules, Compounds and Chemical Equations, Chemical Quantities and Aqueous Reactions, Gases, Thermochemistry, Quantum Mechanical Model, Periodic Properties, Chemical Bonding 1: Lewis Theory, and VESPR.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook