What topics should I review before taking Gen Chem 2?

In summary: Chem 2: Liquids, Solids, and Intermolecular Forces, Solutions, Chemical Kinetics, Equilibrium, Acids and Bases, Aqueous Ionic Equilibrium, Free-Energy and Thermodynamics, Electrochemistry, and Radioactivity and Nuclear Chemistry.
norman95
I'm planning on taking a second semester general chemistry course in the spring, and I'm wondering what I should study before hand. Based on RateMyProfessor, my teacher is going to be super hard. I took the first semester general chemistry course and I got an A in it, but that was last fall. Basically I'm wondering what topics are going to be assumed to be known by me and what I need to know to understand the material.

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what is the exact syllabus, but in my experience things that most people struggle with when learning chemistry are concepts from math and physics, that they are expected to understand.

Well! Certainly expect to have a lot more math in general chemistry 2 than 1 but the math is very basic...algebra 1, and logarithms. There will be tons of equations. What separate champs from chumps is the intuitive understanding of the equations, variables and basic concepts pertaining the use of those equations to solve problems. From chem 1, I would go over everything from stoichiometry, periodic trends, acids/bases and electrolytes, thermochemistry, nomenclature, gases ( e.g. henry's law etc ) and some basic chemical bonding concepts. If you try to play the plug and chug game, you are screwed but if you take time to understand the concepts and the intuition behind them you will be just fine. Good luck.

PS : Know you units, they are important and last but not least most often when you don't know what to do, go the moles... ;-)

Well I don't really have too much difficulty with math or physics. Are there any concepts specific to chemistry you think I should know? If it helps this is the description of the first semester course from my school:
Includes the study of atomic structure, nomenclature, chemical reactions and equations, stoichiometry, thermochemistry, chemical bonds and structures.
and this is for the second semester:
Covers the study of liquids and solids, reactions and properties of solutions; discusses equilibrium, chemical kinetics, acid-base theory, thermodynamics, oxidation and reduction, and electrochemistry.
Sorry I know those descriptions aren't too specific, but hopefully it helps.

Will I need to know nomenclature/naming really well? I think that's what I struggled with the most.

In my previous post I have already mentioned what topics have a carryover from 1 to 2. As far as nomenclature goes it will be essential especially in acids and bases and also you might encounter problems sometimes where you are supposed to find the molar mass of a compound. You will given just the name of the compound and then you will have to figure the formula to look up at the periodic table to proceed with the problem, for e.g. Calcium Nitrite etc. Not at all difficult but you certainly need to know your nomenclature and charges. A strong foundation of general chemistry 1 will serve you well in 2.

I'm also taking gen chem 2 in the spring it includes Liquids, Solids, and Intermolecular forces, Solutions,Chemical Kinetics, Equilibrium, Acids and Bases, Aqueous Ionic Equilibrium, Free-Energy and Thermodynamics, Electrochemistry, and Radioactivity and Nuclear Chemistry.

Chem 1 was Matter measurement and problem solving, Atoms and Elements, Molecules, Compounds and Chemical Equations, Chemical Quantities and Aqueous Reactions, Gases, Thermochemistry, Quantum Mechanical Model, Periodic Properties, Chemical Bonding 1: Lewis Theory, and VESPR.

1. What is the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds, while inorganic chemistry is the study of non-carbon-containing compounds. Organic compounds are typically found in living organisms and are covalently bonded, while inorganic compounds are found in non-living matter and can have a variety of bonding types.

2. What are some common laboratory techniques used in general chemistry?

Some common laboratory techniques used in general chemistry include titration, chromatography, distillation, and spectrophotometry. These techniques are used to separate, identify, and quantify chemical substances.

3. How does temperature affect chemical reactions?

Temperature can greatly affect the rate of a chemical reaction. Generally, an increase in temperature will increase the rate of a reaction as it provides more energy for molecules to collide and react. However, extremely high temperatures can also cause reactions to become too fast and uncontrollable.

4. What is the purpose of balancing chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it shows the conservation of mass in a chemical reaction. It ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present on both sides of the equation, representing a balanced reaction.

5. How does the periodic table help us understand chemistry?

The periodic table is a tool that organizes elements based on their atomic structure and properties. It allows us to predict the behavior of elements and their reactions with other elements, as well as understand trends in properties such as atomic radius and electronegativity. It is essential in understanding the building blocks of matter and the principles of chemistry.