Topics / thin film question

In summary, the problem involves two rectangular plates in contact along one edge and separated along the opposite edge, with light of wavelength 600 nm incident perpendicular to the top plate. The air between the plates acts as a thin film, resulting in nine dark fringes and eight bright fringes when viewed from above the top plate. By increasing the distance between the plates along the separated edges by 600 nm, the number of dark fringes across the top plate will increase from 9 to 11. This can be determined by using the formula 2L = mλ/n, where m is the order of the fringe and n is the refractive index. Both approaches of using m = 9 and m = 8 initially are valid,
mm2424

Homework Statement

Two rectangular plates (n = 1.60) are in contact along one edge and separated along the opposite edge (see figure). Light with a wavelength of 600 nm is incident perpendicularly onto the top plate. The air between the plates acts as a thin film. Nine dark fringes and eight bright fringes are observed from above the top plate. If the distance between the two plates along the separated edges is increased by 600 nm, how many dark fringes will there then be across the top plate?

Homework Equations

For dark fringes, 2L = mλ/n

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured if I plugged in the highest order of dark fringe (m=9) and plugged it into 2L = mλ/n, I would find the initial thickness of air film between the plates. I assumed we should use n = 1, since the film is air.

I then got 2L = 9(600nm)/1
L = 2700 nm

I then added 600 nm to this and got 3300 nm as the new thickness of the air film.

2(3300 nm) = mλ/n
m = 11.

Is this general approach ok? In my professor's answer key, he used the same formula but solved for L initially by plugging in m = 8. This yielded an L of 2400 nm. He then added 600 to this, getting 3000 nm, which he plugged back into the equation to get an m = 10. He reasoned from here (without any explanation why) that the number of dark fringes increased from 9 to 11. Is there some type of logical step here I'm not getting? Can I use my approach, or is there something to his approach of using m = 8 initially?

Thanks!

Attachments

• THINFILM.jpg
    THINFILM.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm taking a guess, but if you're using Halliday & Resnick Funadmentals of Physics 10th Ed, p1067 tells you why you would use m = 8.

Basically, for thickness L < 0.1λ, the phase difference is only due to phase shifts in reflections (the path length difference is ignored). So if you have one phase shifting reflection (as in this problem) the first dark fringe is m = 0.

1. What is a thin film?

A thin film is a layer of material that has a thickness of a few nanometers to a few micrometers. It is typically deposited on a substrate and can have various properties, such as optical, electrical, or mechanical, depending on the material used.

2. How are thin films made?

Thin films can be made through various methods, including physical vapor deposition (PVD), chemical vapor deposition (CVD), sputtering, and spin coating. These techniques involve depositing a material onto a substrate and controlling the growth and properties of the film through parameters such as temperature, pressure, and gas composition.

3. What are some applications of thin films?

Thin films have a wide range of applications in industries such as electronics, optics, and energy. They are used in electronic devices, such as computer chips and solar cells, as well as in coatings for lenses, mirrors, and displays. Thin films also have potential applications in areas such as medicine and sensors.

4. What are the challenges in studying thin films?

One of the main challenges in studying thin films is their complex structure and properties, which can be difficult to characterize and understand. Another challenge is controlling the growth of thin films to achieve desired properties, as even small variations in deposition conditions can significantly affect the film's properties.

5. How are thin films being improved and developed?

Scientists are constantly working to improve and develop new thin film materials and techniques. This involves studying the fundamental properties of thin films, as well as developing new deposition methods and optimizing existing ones. Advances in nanotechnology and materials science are also contributing to the improvement of thin films and their applications.