Topological Conjugation between two dynamical systems

Your Name] In summary, Seligman attempted to find a topological conjugation between g(x) and T(x) where g and T are mappings (both tent maps). After many attempts, Seligman was unsure if it was possible to find a conjugation due to the presence of the absolute value in g(x). However, one approach that could work is breaking down g(x) into two separate functions and using a new function f(x) = 1-2h(|x|) as the conjugator. After simplifying the expressions, it was shown that f(x) satisfies the condition h ° T = g ° h, making it a valid topological conjugation.
selig5560
Find a topological conjugation between g(x) and T(x) where g and T are mappings (both tent maps [graphically speaking])

g:[-1, 1] → [-1,1]
g(x) = 1-2|x|

T:[0,1] → [0, 1]
T(x) = 2x when x ≤ 1/2 and 2(1-x) when x ≥ 1/2

h ° T = g ° h (homeomorphism)

h:[0, 1] → [-1, 1]
h(x) = cos(∏x)

when T(x) = 2x and x ≤ 1/2:

cos(∏*(2x)) = sin^2(∏x) - cos^(∏x) = 1 - 2cos^2(∏x) = 1 - 2|cos^2(∏x) = -cos(2∏x)

when T(x) = 2(1-x) and x ≥ 1/2

cos(2∏(1-x) = cos(2∏-2x∏) = -cos^2(∏x)+sin^2(∏x) = 1-2|cos^2(∏x) + sin^2(∏x) = 1-2|cos(2∏x)|

The above attempt I know is incorrect because after I introduce the absolute value brackets I do not get the desired result.

This is when I get stuck. I have tried many different variations of trig functions to act as the conjugator between g and T(x), however I have had no luck (after many hours.) I know for that it would be easy to find a homeomorphism if it wasnt for the |x| part of the 1-2|x| dynamical system (tent map.) I do not think that I am supposed to find a conjugation between two tent maps (explicit i,.e. conjugating two piecewise functions) because it seems that would be highly redundant. If anyone could provide some assistance that would be great.

- Selig

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
man

Dear Seligman,

Thank you for sharing your attempts and thought process. It seems like you are on the right track with trying to use trigonometric functions as the conjugator between g(x) and T(x). However, as you pointed out, the absolute value in g(x) makes it challenging to find a suitable homeomorphism.

One approach you could try is to break down g(x) into two separate functions, each with a different domain. For example, you could define h(x) as cos(∏x) for x ≥ 0 and -cos(∏x) for x < 0. Then, you can define a new function f(x) as 1-2h(|x|). This function f(x) will have the same range as g(x) and will also be continuous and invertible.

Now, let's see how this function f(x) relates to T(x).

When T(x) = 2x and x ≤ 1/2:

f(T(x)) = 1-2h(|2x|) = 1-2h(2|x|) = 1-2cos(∏(2|x|)) = 1-2cos(2∏|x|)

When T(x) = 2(1-x) and x ≥ 1/2:

f(T(x)) = 1-2h(|2(1-x)|) = 1-2h(2-2|x|) = 1-2cos(∏(2-2|x|)) = 1-2cos(2∏(1-|x|))

Using the identity cos(2∏x) = cos(2∏(1-x)) = 1-2cos^2(∏x), we can simplify the above expressions to:

f(T(x)) = 1-2cos(2∏|x|) = 1-2|cos(2∏x)|

Therefore, we have shown that f(x) is a conjugation between g(x) and T(x), satisfying the condition h ° T = g ° h.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in exploring topological conjugations between different mappings.

1. What is topological conjugation between two dynamical systems?

Topological conjugation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two dynamical systems. It refers to the existence of a continuous one-to-one mapping between the state spaces of the two systems, such that the evolution of one system can be represented by the evolution of the other system under this mapping.

2. How is topological conjugation different from other types of system equivalence?

Unlike other types of system equivalence, such as algebraic or geometric equivalence, topological conjugation only requires a one-to-one mapping between the state spaces of the two systems, regardless of any algebraic or geometric properties. This means that topological conjugation is a more general and flexible concept.

3. What are the applications of topological conjugation?

Topological conjugation has various applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of dynamical systems and chaos theory. It can be used to identify hidden symmetries or underlying structure in complex systems, as well as to analyze and predict the behavior of these systems.

4. Is topological conjugation always possible between two dynamical systems?

No, topological conjugation is not always possible between two systems. It depends on the properties and dynamics of the systems in question. For example, if one system is chaotic and the other is not, topological conjugation may not be possible.

5. How is topological conjugation related to topological entropy?

Topological entropy is a measure of the complexity or unpredictability of a dynamical system. Topological conjugation can be used to calculate the topological entropy of a system by comparing it to a known system with a known topological entropy. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and dynamics of the system in question.