Proving Banach Space Property Using Topological Isomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that F is a Banach space using the fact that it is isomorphic to a Banach space and the given information that all Cauchy sequences in E converge. The participants discuss taking a cauchy sequence in F and using the isomorphism to show its convergence, ultimately leading to the conclusion that F is indeed a Banach space.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2512/60637341vi6.png

Homework Equations

I think this is relevant:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/336/51636887dc4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

A topological isomorphism implies that T and T-1 are bounded and given is that all cauchy sequences in E are convergent.

But if that's the case then by boundedness all convergent sequences are bounded in het norm of F and are thus also Cauchy seqeunces. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dirk_mec1 said:
But if that's the case then by boundedness all convergent sequences are bounded in het norm of F and are thus also Cauchy seqeunces. Am I thinking in the right direction?
You have to prove that every Cauchy sequence in F converges. How is what you're saying doing that?

Okay so that's wrong but suppose I have a cauchy sequence in E: [tex]|x_n-x_m|_E < \epsilon\ , \forall n,m\geq N [/tex] how can I prove then that F is also Banach?

Why are you taking a cauchy sequence in E? You're supposed to prove that F is a Banach space.

morphism said:
Why are you taking a cauchy sequence in E? You're supposed to prove that F is a Banach space.

Because it is given that E is Banach what implies that every cauchy sequence converges.

What I meant is that it makes more sense to start with a cauchy sequence in F rather than in E. Because you want to prove that every cauchy sequence in F converges.

Can someone give me a hint? Because I've started with a cauchy sequence in F but I honestly do not see what to do next.

Let {an} be a sequence in F. What can you say about {T-1 an}?

HallsofIvy said:
Let {an} be a sequence in F. What can you say about {T-1 an}?

Let [tex] \{ a_n \}[/tex] be a sequence in F then for all [tex] n,m \geq N [/tex] we have:

[tex] || T^{-1} (a_n-a_m)||_E \leq c\cdot ||a_n-a_m||_F < c \cdot \epsilon [/tex]

So an is Cauchy in F.

But how do I get it to converge in F with limit a?

Look, you want to show that F is a Banach space. So you take an arbitrary cauchy sequence in F and show that it converges in F. What do we have to work with here? We know that F is isomorphic to a Banach space. Use that isomorphism.

1. What is topological isomorphism?

Topological isomorphism is a concept in mathematics and physics that refers to a type of mapping between two topological spaces. It is a way of comparing the structure of two spaces to see if they are essentially the same, despite potentially having different shapes or dimensionalities.

2. How is topological isomorphism different from other types of isomorphism?

Unlike other types of isomorphism, which focus on preserving specific properties such as distances or angles, topological isomorphism is concerned with preserving the overall structure or topology of a space. This means that topologically isomorphic spaces may have different geometric properties, but they can still be considered equivalent in terms of their topological structure.

3. What are some real-life examples of topological isomorphism?

Topological isomorphism has applications in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. For example, the shape of a virus can be topologically isomorphic to the shape of a soccer ball, even though they have different geometric properties. In chemistry, the structure of molecules can be compared using topological isomorphism to determine their chemical similarities and differences.

4. How is topological isomorphism useful in scientific research?

Topological isomorphism is a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems. It allows scientists to identify underlying patterns and connections between seemingly different structures, which can lead to new insights and discoveries. In physics, topological isomorphism has been used to study the behavior of materials and the properties of quantum states.

5. Can topological isomorphism be applied to any type of space?

Yes, topological isomorphism can be applied to any type of topological space, regardless of its dimensionality or complexity. This includes spaces with curved surfaces or non-Euclidean geometries. However, the level of detail and accuracy of the comparison may vary depending on the specific properties of the space and the techniques used for analysis.