1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topological isomorphism

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    I think this is relevant:
    [​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    A topological isomorphism implies that T and T-1 are bounded and given is that all cauchy sequences in E are convergent.

But if that's the case then by boundedness all convergent sequences are bounded in het norm of F and are thus also Cauchy seqeunces. Am I thinking in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to prove that every Cauchy sequence in F converges. How is what you're saying doing that?

4. Oct 4, 2008 #3
    Okay so that's wrong but suppose I have a cauchy sequence in E: [tex]|x_n-x_m|_E < \epsilon\ , \forall n,m\geq N [/tex] how can I prove then that F is also Banach?

5. Oct 4, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you taking a cauchy sequence in E? You're supposed to prove that F is a Banach space.

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5
    Because it is given that E is Banach what implies that every cauchy sequence converges.

7. Oct 5, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What I meant is that it makes more sense to start with a cauchy sequence in F rather than in E. Because you want to prove that every cauchy sequence in F converges.

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7
    Can someone give me a hint? Because I've started with a cauchy sequence in F but I honestly do not see what to do next.

9. Oct 6, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let {an} be a sequence in F. What can you say about {T-1 an}?

10. Oct 7, 2008 #9

Let [tex] \{ a_n \}[/tex] be a sequence in F then for all [tex] n,m \geq N [/tex] we have:

[tex] || T^{-1} (a_n-a_m)||_E \leq c\cdot ||a_n-a_m||_F < c \cdot \epsilon [/tex]

So an is Cauchy in F.

But how do I get it to converge in F with limit a?

11. Oct 7, 2008 #10

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look, you want to show that F is a Banach space. So you take an arbitrary cauchy sequence in F and show that it converges in F. What do we have to work with here? We know that F is isomorphic to a Banach space. Use that isomorphism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?