Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topological vector spaces

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    Let [tex]C([0,1])[/tex] be the collection of all complex-valued continuous functions on [tex][0,1][/tex].
    Define [tex]d(f,g)=\int\limits_0^{1}\frac{|f(x)-g(x)|}{1+|f(x)-g(x)|}dx[/tex] for all [tex]f,g \in C([0,1])[/tex]
    [tex]C([0,1])[/tex] is an invariant metric space.
    Prove that [tex]C([0,1])[/tex] is a topological vector space

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    No thanks. Why don't you prove it for us?

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have already proved that C([0, 1]) is a metrix space, and it is clearly a vector space, all you need to prove is that the functions F(f, g)= f+ g and F(a, f)= af are continuous.

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4
    I don't know how to show F(a,f)=af is continuous, can I get some hints please.

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried using the definitions? Or tried anything at all?

(P.S. you should always try to use the definitions when you're stuck on any problem)

7. Feb 13, 2009 #6
    F is continuous if for every open subset U of Y, F^{-1}(U) is open in X.
    So I let U be an open subset in Y, and let (a,f) be in F^{-1}(U). Then F(a,f) is in U. then I am stuck...

8. Feb 14, 2009 #7
    Since you've got a metric space, it might be easier to use the epsilon-delta formulation of continuity to show it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook