1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology and Compactness

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1
    My question comes from homework from a section on the Tychonoff Theorem. This is the question:

Now I have an idea about how to go about this. I know that [tex]Q[/tex] is compact since [tex]I = [0,1][/tex] is and the Tychonoff Theorem states that the product of compact spaces is compact. I then know that [tex]f(Q) \subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] must be compact, since [tex]f[/tex] is continuous. I then know that it is closed and bounded meaning that there is an interval [tex][-M,M][/tex] such that [tex]f(Q) \subset [-M,M][/tex]. I can then cut that interval into a finite number of (non-disjoint) open sets of length [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

I would then look at their inverse images and see that they are open sets covering [tex]Q[/tex]. I know that those open sets are unions of base sets that are products of sets of which only a finite number are not equal to [tex]I[/tex] (because this is the product topology). The problem for me is here is that the open sets cannot necessarilly be written as products (of sets) so I don't see how I can ignore all but a finite number of coordinates. What I would like is for the open sets to be a finite union of base sets. If that were true than I could find a finite number of coordinates that it belongs to but if not than I don't see how I can define it.

Beyond that I would like to define my function [tex]g[/tex] as a sum of functions [tex]g_i[/tex] each defined on the partitions of [tex][-M,M][/tex]. I would be tempted to just define the functions to have a value of part of the partition but then that would result in a step function that wouldn't be continuous anyway. If I could come up with a set of continuous functions [tex]\{g_i\}[/tex] then my plan is to use the Partition of Unity to combine them into one function [tex]x[/tex] that would be the result of the problem.

So I'm pretty stumped at the moment. I just don't see how to simplify it. Hopefully my explanation is understandable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted