Topology Books for Beginners - John Milnor's Differentiable Viewpoint

• Thread starter LBloom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, a student is looking for an introductory book into topology and does not feel confident in the profesor's choice. A few recommendations are given, including Mendelson's "Introduction to Topology."
LBloom
Hey guys,

So my prof assigned John Milnor's book about topology from a differentiable viewpoint for out topology and geometry class. I was wondering if anyone had a book they could recommend as an introduction into topology because I don't think professor Milnor's book really is an introductory book although I could be wrong.

I do have some basic knowledge of topology that I've picked up from reading books on tensors (tensor geometry by dodson and part of tensors on manifolds by bishop). I was considering Munkres, but does anyone have any other recommendations? On a sidenote I'm primarily a physics major but I don't know if that matters for a topology book on that level.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres is as good as it gets for UG, though I haven't tried other books of UG Topology.

I second Goldbeetle's recommendation of Mendelson's "Introduction to Topology." It is an absolutely crystal clear treatment of the basics of metric spaces and point-set topology. It doesn't cover as much material as Munkres, but for what it does cover I think it's superior. And you can't argue with the price: $6.65 from Amazon.

read milnor. that is the best book of its kind in existence. ask questions here for help. when you pay money to be taught by experts, do not resist what they are trying to do for you. take their advice.

mathwonk said:
read milnor. that is the best book of its kind in existence. ask questions here for help. when you pay money to be taught by experts, do not resist what they are trying to do for you. take their advice.

Can't comment on Milnor, but Professors aren't infallible. Case in point, we are using Gamelin and Green for our undergrad Topology. Its a fine book, but even the professor admitted that its geared more towards grad level students. I have supplemented the book with the Medelson text (supplemented, not replaced). Heck, I even supplement with my Ross Analysis text. Not sure if I could handle the class if all I had to rely on was Gamelin and lectures.

Well unfortunately my library doesn't have Mendelson now, so for the time being it is Munkres and I feel MathematicalPhysicist is probably right. I will make sure to check out Mendelson though once I can find it.

MathWonk- Believe me if a professor assigns a book I'll get it. I definitely plan on reading Milnor I'm just looking for a book over the summer to help me learn about Topology first. I feel like Milnor's book is more advanced. (he mentions some terms I don't know offhand).

Thanks for the advice!

I used Czes Kosniowski's https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521298644/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for my topology class. The first ten chapters of this book are on point-set topology that is suited for anybody who is learning topology for the first time. I thought the book was very well written, and it did a fantastic job interlacing abstract concepts and concrete examples.

But since your professor recommends a book that has more emphasis on differential topology, the later chapters in this book might not be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
LBloom said:
Well unfortunately my library doesn't have Mendelson now, so for the time being it is Munkres and I feel MathematicalPhysicist is probably right. I will make sure to check out Mendelson though once I can find it.

MathWonk- Believe me if a professor assigns a book I'll get it. I definitely plan on reading Milnor I'm just looking for a book over the summer to help me learn about Topology first. I feel like Milnor's book is more advanced. (he mentions some terms I don't know offhand).

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I truly believe Mendelson would be be the ideal place to start self-studying over the summer. You can get it new for about $11 at Amazon or your local Barnes and Nobel, or get it used from half.com for about...half that :). The only downside is that there are no solutions to the problems. That upper div Gamelin book I mentioned that we use in an undergrad class is not bad, just to..."polished" (as grad books are) but the plus side is that nearly all answers are in the back. Book cost is about 15 bucks.

Never read Munkrese, but it does seem to be the defacto modem undergrad Topolgy book, so that its available at your library is great!

Dunno what you know about topology or why you'd want to take it, but Topology is very similar to Analysis. For what ever reason I absolutely hate anlysis, but I am really enjouyinjg topology, as hard as it may, I love topology

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of shapes and spaces that are preserved through continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending. It is concerned with the study of geometric structures and their properties that remain unchanged under continuous transformations.

2. Why is topology important?

Topology plays a crucial role in various fields of mathematics, such as geometry, analysis, and algebra. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing complex structures and systems, including those in physics, biology, and computer science. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and robotics.

3. Who is John Milnor?

John Milnor is an American mathematician and Fields Medalist, known for his work in differential topology, algebraic topology, and dynamical systems. He is best known for his contributions to the study of differentiable manifolds and his book "Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint" is a classic text in the field.

4. What is the "Differentiable Viewpoint" in Milnor's book?

Milnor's book takes a differential approach to topology, focusing on the study of differentiable manifolds and their properties. It introduces readers to the fundamental concepts and techniques of differential topology, such as smooth maps, tangent spaces, and vector fields, and applies them to various topological problems.

5. Is "Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint" suitable for beginners?

While the book does require some mathematical background, it is considered to be one of the best introductory texts on differential topology. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with many helpful examples and exercises, making it accessible to beginners with a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra.