Compactness of A in R2 with Standard Topology: Tychonoff's Theorem Applied

In summary, the question is about showing whether A is compact in R2 with the standard topology. A is defined as [0,1]x{0} U {1/n, n \in Z+} x [0,1]. Through Heine Borel and the demonstration that every cover has a finite subcover, it is shown that [0,1] and {0}U{1/n} are compact. However, there is uncertainty about whether the product of two compact sets will still be compact in this case. Tychonoff's theorem states that the product of compact spaces is compact, but it may not apply in this situation. There is also discussion about the principal operation in the expression for A,
jangoc44
1. The question is to show whether A is compact in R2 with the standard topology. A = [0,1]x{0} U {1/n, n[tex]\in[/tex] Z+} x [0,1]

3. If I group the [0,1] together, I get [0,1] x {0,1/n, n [tex]\in[/tex] Z+ }, and [0,1] is compact in R because of Heine Borel and {0}U{1/n} is compact since you can show that every cover has a finite subcover. Now, if you take the product of two compact sets will they still be compact? Tychonoff's theorem says product of compact spaces is compact, but I'm not too sure if it applies here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jangoc44 said:
A = [0,1]x{0} U {1/n, n[tex]\in[/tex] Z+} x [0,1]

Where is the principal operation in the expression for [itex]A[/itex]. If [itex]A\subset \mathbb{R}_2[/itex] it can't have two product operations, so I'd go for the union as it stands. But this doesn't look too likely, and doesn't seem to tie up with what you say in 3., so I suspect there may be a typo.

Sorry I meant ([0,1]x{0}) U ({1/n}x[0,1]).

OK - it was your reference to {0}U{1/n} that was throwing me a bit. Look at the points on {0}x[0,1] and go direct from the definition. (That assumes you define compact as closed and bounded, otherwise you will no doubt have proved these properties in your course from whatever definition you use.)

I'm off to bed now so should you have any problems hopefully someone else will pick up the thread.

1. What is a compact set in topology?

A compact set in topology is a subset of a topological space that is closed and bounded. This means that every sequence of points in the set has a convergent subsequence that also belongs to the set. In simpler terms, a compact set is a set that is not "missing" any of its points and does not extend infinitely in any direction.

2. How is compactness related to continuity?

In topology, compactness is closely tied to continuity. A function is continuous if and only if the preimage of every open set is open. A set is compact if and only if its preimage under a continuous function is also compact. This means that compact sets are preserved under continuous functions.

3. What are some examples of compact sets?

Some examples of compact sets include closed intervals on the real line, finite sets, and the Cantor set. In general, any finite or bounded set in a metric space is compact. It is important to note that not all subsets of a topological space are compact, as they must satisfy the specific criteria of being both closed and bounded.

4. How is compactness different from connectedness?

Compactness and connectedness are two distinct concepts in topology. While compactness refers to the size and structure of a set, connectedness refers to the "connectedness" of a set. A set is connected if it cannot be divided into two nonempty sets that are separated from each other. A set can be compact without being connected, and vice versa.

5. What are the applications of compact sets in mathematics?

Compact sets have numerous applications in mathematics, particularly in analysis and geometry. They are useful for proving the existence and uniqueness of solutions to differential equations, as well as in optimization and functional analysis. Compact sets also play a crucial role in the study of manifolds and their properties.