Topology Compactness Theorem: Hausdorff and Compact Topologies on a Set X

• Thread starter economist13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the theorem states that if (X,t) is Hausdorff and (X,T) is compact with t being a subset of T, then t=T. This can be proven by showing that T is compact and Hausdorff, and since (X,t) is compact and Hausdorff, a homeomorphism can be constructed between T and t, thus proving that T=t. Alternatively, it can be proven directly by showing that any open set in T is also open in t.
economist13

Homework Statement

Let X be a set and t & T be two topologies on X. Prove that if (X,t) is Hausdorff and (X, T) is Compact with t a subset of T, then t=T. (i.e., T is a subset of t).

The Attempt at a Solution

potentially useful theorem: (X,t) Hausdorff and X compact implies that each subset F is compact iff it is closed.

I don't really know which direction to go from here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
economist13 said:

Homework Statement

Let X be a set and t & T be two topologies on X. Prove that if (X,t) is Hausdorff and (X, T) is Compact with t a subset of T, then t=T. (i.e., T is a subset of t).

The Attempt at a Solution

potentially useful theorem: (X,t) Hausdorff implies that each subset F is compact iff it is closed.
This is certainly not true. Every compact subset of a Hausdorff space is closed but the converse is not true. For example, in the real numbers with the usual topology, [itex][0,\infty)[/itex] is a closed set but is not compact.

I don't really know which direction to go from here...

There is a nice theorem regarding homeomorphisms from compact to hausdorff spaces

You should see the proof of the theorem HallsofIvy posted - compact Hausdorff spaces come up often in point set topology.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
This is certainly not true. Every compact subset of a Hausdorff space is closed but the converse is not true. For example, in the real numbers with the usual topology, [itex][0,\infty)[/itex] is a closed set but is not compact.

My bad, I forgot to mention that X is Hausdorff and compact.

economist13 said:
My bad, I forgot to mention that X is Hausdorff and compact.

You are given that X is Hausdorff under t and compact under T. You don't know it's Hausdorff under T or that it's compact under t until you prove it by proving t=T.

actually it is enough to know that if t is a subset of T and X is compact with T, then it is compact with t.

Choose any open covering for (X, t), {Ui} for i in some index I, then it is also and open of (X,T), since t a subset of T. Since (X,T) compact, there is a finite open cover, {Ui} i=1,...,n. But each of those Ui is also in (X,t) thus (X,t) is compact.

It is also not too difficult to show that (X,T) is Hausdorff. Choose x and y not equal in X. Then since (X, t) is Hausdorff, there exist M and N, both open, such that they are disjoint and contain x and y, respectively. Since t a subset of T, then M and N are in T, thus (X,T) also has the Hausdorff property.

So in neither case do we need T=t.

additionally, my edit was simply w.r.t the theorem that X compact and Hausdorff then subset F is compact iff F is closed.

economist13 said:
actually it is enough to know that if t is a subset of T and X is compact with T, then it is compact with t.

Choose any open covering for (X, t), {Ui} for i in some index I, then it is also and open of (X,T), since t a subset of T. Since (X,T) compact, there is a finite open cover, {Ui} i=1,...,n. But each of those Ui is also in (X,t) thus (X,t) is compact.

It is also not too difficult to show that (X,T) is Hausdorff. Choose x and y not equal in X. Then since (X, t) is Hausdorff, there exist M and N, both open, such that they are disjoint and contain x and y, respectively. Since t a subset of T, then M and N are in T, thus (X,T) also has the Hausdorff property.

So in neither case do we need T=t.

additionally, my edit was simply w.r.t the theorem that X compact and Hausdorff then subset F is compact iff F is closed.

Now you are getting someplace. You are actually proving things. But what you are supposed to prove is that t=T. How do you prove that? You want to show an open set O in T is also in t.

Dick said:
Now you are getting someplace. You are actually proving things. But what you are supposed to prove is that t=T. How do you prove that? You want to show an open set O in T is also in t.

I know what I need to show to prove that T=t. i.e., O in T => O in t, since we are given t a subset of T. I just don't see how to do this with the information given.

I guess I should have been more clear with what I need help with. I just am missing whatever key observation I need to make to achieve any useful progress.

EDIT: How's this, since (X,t) compact & Hausdorff (shown above) and (X,T) compact & Hausdorff, then i:(X,T)->(X,t), where i(x)=x, is a homeomorphism. Thus for each open set O in T, i(O) is in t. But i(O)=O since i is the identity function. Thus T=t.

Thanks VeeEight, Dick and HallsofIvy

Last edited:
economist13 said:
I know what I need to show to prove that T=t. i.e., O in T => O in t, since we are given t a subset of T. I just don't see how to do this with the information given.

I guess I should have been more clear with what I need help with. I just am missing whatever key observation I need to make to achieve any useful progress.

EDIT: How's this, since (X,t) compact & Hausdorff (shown above) and (X,T) compact & Hausdorff, then i:(X,T)->(X,t), where i(x)=x, is a homeomorphism. Thus for each open set O in T, i(O) is in t. But i(O)=O since i is the identity function. Thus T=t.

Thanks VeeEight, Dick and HallsofIvy

You could also just take the direct approach. If O is open in T then C=complement(O) is closed in T. Therefore C is compact. Since (C,T) is compact can't you prove (C,t) is also compact (and therefore closed) in t the same way you did with X? Sorry to underestimate the level you were coming from!

1. What is compactness in topology?

Compactness is a property of topological spaces that captures the idea of being "small" or "finite". It means that every open cover (a collection of open sets that cover the space) has a finite subcover (a subset of the open sets that still covers the space). In other words, no matter how we try to cover the space, we can always do it with a finite number of open sets.

2. How is compactness related to connectedness?

Compactness and connectedness are related, but they are distinct properties. A space can be compact without being connected, and vice versa. However, a space is compact if and only if it is both connected and "locally connected", meaning that every point has a connected neighborhood. So while connectedness describes the global structure of a space, compactness describes its "local" behavior.

3. Can a subset of a compact space be non-compact?

Yes, a subset of a compact space can be non-compact. For example, consider the closed interval [0,1] in the real line. This interval is compact, but its subset (0,1) is not compact, since it does not contain its boundary points 0 and 1.

4. What is the Heine-Borel theorem and how does it relate to compactness?

The Heine-Borel theorem is a fundamental result in topology that states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem is often used as a characterization of compactness in analysis and geometry.

5. Why is compactness an important concept in mathematics?

Compactness is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to study infinite objects in a finite manner. Compact spaces have many nice properties, such as being complete and totally bounded, which make them easier to work with. Compactness is also closely related to other important concepts, such as continuity, convergence, and connectedness, and has applications in various areas of mathematics, including analysis, geometry, and topology.