Compactness in Metrizable Spaces: Proving X is Compact with Bounded Metrics

• Thread starter tylerc1991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a metrizable space (X,T) is compact if every metric that generates T is bounded. The Attempt at a Solution suggests using the original definition of compactness and then the idea of sequential compactness, but neither approach proves successful. The conversation ends with a suggestion to assume X is not compact and find a counterexample, but further details need to be checked.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Let (X,T) be a metrizable space such that every metric that generates T is bounded. Prove that X is compact.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking about this problem a bit before I headed off to work and wanted to get you guys' thoughts and/or ideas. At first I was trying to use the original definition of compactness, i.e. letting O be some open cover of X and assuming that there is no finite subcover of X and arriving at a contradiction. I didn't get anywhere with this so then I thought about trying to show sequential compactness but I don't see how a sequence necessarily converges in X. Any ideas? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if this approach will work, but you should try it out. Assume it is not compact, so you can find a sequence [tex](x_n)_n[/tex] without convergent subsequence. Then [tex]X\setminus \{x_n~\vert~n>0\}[/tex] is an open set which is metrizable by a bounded metric (say d(x,y)<1). Now, we adjoin x_1 to this set and we set the distance d'(x_1,y)=2. Then we adjoin x_2 and we set the distance d'(x_2,y)=3, and so on.

I have a feeling this should work, but there are some details which you still need to check...

1. What is compactness in topology?

Compactness in topology is a property of a topological space that describes how well it can be covered by open sets. A topological space is considered compact if every open cover (a collection of open sets that covers the entire space) has a finite subcover (a smaller collection of open sets that still covers the entire space).

2. How is compactness different from connectedness?

While both compactness and connectedness are properties of a topological space, they are fundamentally different. Connectedness refers to the idea that a space cannot be split into two disjoint open sets, while compactness refers to how well a space can be covered by open sets. A space can be compact without being connected, and vice versa.

3. Why is compactness important in topology?

Compactness is an important concept in topology because it allows us to generalize results from finite spaces to infinite spaces. It also allows us to prove important theorems, such as the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a subset of a Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

4. Can a non-compact space be made compact?

Yes, a non-compact space can be made compact by using a process called compactification. This involves adding additional points to the space in a way that preserves the original topological properties while also making the space compact.

5. Are all metric spaces compact?

No, not all metric spaces are compact. A metric space can only be compact if it satisfies a certain condition called the Heine-Borel property, which states that every open cover of the space has a finite subcover. Many common metric spaces, such as the real numbers, are compact, but not all of them are.