What is the Continuity of the Function p in C[0,1]?

• Thread starter TheForumLord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the function p:C[0,1]->C[0,1] takes a function f in C[0,1] and returns a new function p(f) where p(f) is defined as f(x^2). To prove that p is a continuous function, we need to show that the distance between p(g) and p(f) is less than or equal to the distance between g and f, where g and f are in C[0,1]. This is because the supremum of the set of distances between g and f is equal to the supremum of the set of distances between p(g) and p(f). Therefore, we need to prove that p preserves distances, which means that the distance between p
TheForumLord

Homework Statement

Let p:C[0,1]->C[0,1] the function that doing this "match":
For each f in C[0,1] , p(f)=f(x^2)

We need to prove that p is a continuous function.

Homework Equations

C[0,1] is the metric space of all the functions that are continuos in [0,1].
The distance between two functions g,f in C[0,1] is:
max{|f(t)-g(t)|} where t is in [0,1] ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure we need to use the fact that if x is in [0,1] then x^2 is also in [0,1] ...
Maybe we should try using uniform continuity or Lifchitz Condition...

TNX to all the helpers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I really think Lifchitz condition is the way...My intuition tells me that the maximum distance between f(x^2) and g(x^2) must be less the g(x) and f(x) but I really don't know how to write it a formal way...
Hope someone will be able to help me

TNX

The Lipschitz condition is a red herring.

As you say, given [tex]f, g \in C[0,1][/tex], the distance between them is [tex]\|g - f\|_{C[0,1]} = \sup \{ |g(t) - f(t)| : t \in [0,1] \}[/tex]. This is the supremum of a set.

What is the distance between [tex]p(g)[/tex] and [tex]p(f)[/tex]? It is also the supremum of a set. What is the relation between these two sets?

That one set contains all the squares of the other one?
This is excatly what is missing in the way to soloution...

:(

TNX

No, that's not right.

Write it out and look at it carefully. What is squared is not what you think is squared.

Their values are squared! It's the definition of f(x^2) no?
Can you help me out here? I'm kind of hopeless...
TNX

Well there is my try: Let f , g be: f(x)=x , g(x)=2x and let's check their values for 0,0.25,0.5 and 1:
We'll get: g(t)-f(t)={0, 0.25, 0.5, 1} ... Now: f(x^2)=x^2 , g(x^2)=2x^2
So : g(t^2)-f(t^2)={0, 0.0625, 0.25, 1 }

Let's check another example: f(x)=2x+4 , g(x)=x -> f(x^2)=2x^2+4 , g(x^2)=x^2
f(t)-g(t)={4, 4.25, 4.5 , 5}
But f(t^2)-g(t^2)={4, 4.0625, 4.25, 5 }

My assumtion was from the beginning that the distances are equal...
Becuase, for example, if the supermum is in 0.5, then the supermum of the squares is in
sqrt(0.5)... So the distances must be equal...Am I right this time?

Last edited:
TheForumLord said:
Their values are squared! It's the definition of f(x^2) no?
Can you help me out here? I'm kind of hopeless...
TNX

No; [tex]f(x^2) \neq f(x)^2[/tex]. You are not squaring the value of [tex]f[/tex]; you are measuring the value of [tex]f[/tex] at a different place.

Yes...But as you can see in my message above you, I am almost sure that if the supermum of f is in x, then the supermum of f(x^2) is in sqrt(x)...It's only because it's f(x^2) and not f(x)^2 of course...

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and how objects can be deformed, stretched, or twisted without changing their fundamental characteristics. It is concerned with the study of continuity, connectedness, and convergence, and is used to understand the structure and relationships within various mathematical objects, such as shapes and surfaces.

2. What are continuous functions?

A continuous function is a type of function that preserves the structure of a topological space. It is a function between two topological spaces that satisfies the property that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. Intuitively, it means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function. In other words, a function is continuous if its graph can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

3. How are continuous functions defined?

A function is continuous if for every open set in the range, the preimage of that set is also open in the domain. In simpler terms, if you pick any point in the domain, and you can find a small neighborhood around it that maps to a small neighborhood around the corresponding point in the range, then the function is continuous.

4. What is the importance of continuous functions in topology?

Continuous functions are essential in topology because they allow us to define and understand the properties of topological spaces. They provide a way to compare and contrast topological spaces, and they help us identify the similarities and differences between different types of spaces. Continuous functions also allow us to transfer information from one space to another, which is crucial in various applications of topology.

5. What are some examples of continuous functions?

Some common examples of continuous functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. In topology, the identity function, which maps a space to itself, is also considered a continuous function. Additionally, any function that can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper is considered continuous.