Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology for Math GRE

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    I won't be able to take a course in topology before I have to take the mathematics subject test of the GRE. I have the Princeton Review guide, but I'm looking for a little stronger of a foundation. Is there a good book introductory book for this purpose? If so, what sections should I read?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    Munkres Topology is a very popular, standard introduction to Point Set Topology. I would suggest reading Part 1 (Part 2 is Algebraic Topology).
  4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks a bunch! I'll look in to that.
  5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    Cool. It is an extremely popular book so you should probably be able to find it in a library.
  6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    I'm actually in the math building of my university right now and just picked it up from the library across the hall :) It looks to be well written, but I'm a little worried about the lack of solutions in the book. I guess I can search for the specific questions or ask here.

Thanks again!
  7. Jan 26, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Jan 27, 2010 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A very good and concise introduction is in "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook