Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology for Math GRE

Tags:
  1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    I won't be able to take a course in topology before I have to take the mathematics subject test of the GRE. I have the Princeton Review guide, but I'm looking for a little stronger of a foundation. Is there a good book introductory book for this purpose? If so, what sections should I read?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    Munkres Topology is a very popular, standard introduction to Point Set Topology. I would suggest reading Part 1 (Part 2 is Algebraic Topology).

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks a bunch! I'll look in to that.

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    Cool. It is an extremely popular book so you should probably be able to find it in a library.

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    I'm actually in the math building of my university right now and just picked it up from the library across the hall :) It looks to be well written, but I'm a little worried about the lack of solutions in the book. I guess I can search for the specific questions or ask here.

Thanks again!

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Jan 27, 2010 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A very good and concise introduction is in "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook