1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Topology generation

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex](X,\tau)[/tex] be [tex]X = \mathbb{R}[/tex] equipped with the topology
    generated by [tex]\EuScript{E} := \{[a,\infty) | a \in \mathbb{R} \}[/tex].

Show that [tex]\tau = \{ \varnothing, \mathbb{R} \} \cup \{
    [a,\infty), (a, \infty) | a \in \mathbb{R} \}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

A topology generated by [tex]\EuScript{E}[/tex] is [tex]\tau(\EuScript{E}) = \bigcap \{ \tau \subset \mathcal{P}(X) | \tau \text{ is a topology } \wedge \tau \supset \EuScript{E} \}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can see that [tex]\tau = \{ \varnothing, \mathbb{R} \} \cup \{
    [a,\infty), (a, \infty) | a \in \mathbb{R} \}[/tex] is a topology for [tex]X[/tex]. But I don't know why the generated topology contains [tex](a,\infty)[/tex] as well. How is this obtained? How should I prove that [tex]\tau = \{ \varnothing, \mathbb{R} \} \cup \{
    [a,\infty), (a, \infty) | a \in \mathbb{R} \}[/tex] is the intersection of all topologies containing [tex]\EuScript{E}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider the sets

[tex]\left[a + \frac{1}{n}, \infty\right)[/tex]

for [itex]n = 1,2,\ldots[/itex]

What is the union of these sets?

4. May 8, 2010 #3
    I see. The union of these sets is [tex](a,\infty)[/tex]. Hence [tex](a,\infty)[/tex] must be in the topology in order to satisfy the closed under arbitrary union condition.

Thanks very much for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook