1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology: Hausdorff Spaces

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be a topological space, Y a Hausdorff space, and let f:X -> Y and g:X -> Y be continuous. Show that {x [tex]\in[/tex] X : f(x) = g(x)} is closed. Hence if f(x) = g(x) for all x in a dense subset of X, then f = g.

2. Relevant equations
    Y is Hausdorff => for every x, y in Y with x != y, there exist disjoint open sets U, V with x in U and y in V.
    f continuous iff f-1(V) is open in X whenever V is open in Y, iff f-1(F) is closed whenever F is closed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could show the set is closed by proving that its complement is open, but do I want to take that route? The complement is {x in X : f(x) != g(x)}. So is this itself a Hausdorff space? I'm not sure if this is the right way to go with this, or even if it's correct. Thanks, as always, for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question "is this itself a Hausdorff space" is meaningless. It is not a space at all- it is a subset of a topological space. (You can make it a topological space by using the "inherited" topology but surely that's not what you want to do. You want to show that it is closed in X but every set is closed in its own inherited topology.) In any case, the set of all {x| f(x)= g(x)} or {x| f(x)!= g(x)} is a subset of X, not Y, and you are not given that X is hausdorff.

4. Nov 6, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Show {x:f(x)!=g(x)} is open. Start by using that f(x) and g(x) are in Y and Y is Hausdorff.

5. Nov 6, 2008 #4
    Ok, if I use that fact, then if f(x) != g(x), there exist subsets U, V disjoint and open with f(x) in U and g(x) in V. Since f is continuous, f-1(U) is open in X (because U is open in Y). Similarly, g-1(V) is open in X (because V is open in Y). Thus {x in X | f(x) != g(x)} is open, and it's complement, {x in X | f(x) = g(x)} is closed.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

6. Nov 6, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The conclusion is correct. You didn't state exactly why this means that x has a open neighborhood where f!=g. I understand it and I think you understand it. You might just want to be a little more explicit.

7. Nov 6, 2008 #6
    Is it basically by definition? Since f is continuous, f-1(N) is a neighborhood of x for every neighborhood N of f(x). Maybe I don't understand it, heh.

8. Nov 6, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you don't quite understand it. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for the gap in the proof. You have that f^(-1)(U) and f^(-1)(V) are both open neighborhoods of x. What about their intersection? Is it also an open neighborhood of x? If so, then can you show that if z is an element of the intersection, then f(z)!=g(z)? That would mean f!=g is open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?