1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology help

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let d be the usual metric on RxR and let p be the taxicab metric on RxR. Prove that the topology of d = the topology of p.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am trying to show that the open ball around point (x,y) with E/2 as the radius (in topology d) is a subset of the open ball around point (x,y) with E as the radius (in topology p), which is a subset of the open ball around point(x,y) with E as the radius (in topology d).

I have chosen point (a,b) and assumed it is in the usual metric. I have tried to show then that the point in the taxi-cab metric is less than E, using the usual metric's distance formula less than E/2. I have done some algebra to see that l x-a l + l y-b l < [tex]E^{2}[/tex]. I am not sure how to go from here since I need to show l x-a l + l y-b l < E? Once I get the inequality less than E, then do I show[tex]\sqrt{(x-a)^{2} +(y-b)^{2}}[/tex] < E?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does an open ball of radius r look like in the taxicab metric? Can you picture it? Describe it.

4. Sep 19, 2008 #3
    I have already pictured it. I thought the "proof by picture" would be a circle (usual top) inside of a rotated square (diamond shape) for taxi-cab top, and that all inside another larger circle. Is this correct? I am still having trouble with the proof even though I have visualized it.

5. Sep 19, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. It's a diamond. It's not that hard to prove. You just figure out that the graph of the boundary |x|-|y|=r consists of four intersecting lines. The 'radius' of the diamond is 1/2 the diagonal. So a diamond of radius r is contained in a circle of radius r. What's the radius of a circle contained in a diamond of radius r?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the response. I can see how what you have said works pictorially but I still can't see how I can use the formula for the usual topoloy < E/2 to get it to say that the taxicab top formula< E. I know once I do this, I will be able to assume the point (a,b) is in the the taxicab metric and then I will have the taxicab metric formula< E and will have to show somehow that the usual top formula < E? Where should I start?

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All you have to show is that every ball in the ordinary metric contains a ball in the taxicab metric and vice versa. Isn't that enough to show they induce the same topology? I you know what they look like then just use geometry.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
    What algebra should I use?

9. Sep 19, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I appended to the last message just use the geometry, if you know what the shapes look like. E.g. I have a taxicab ball around x of radius R. If I have an ordinary ball around x of radius r, how small does r have to be relative to R to make sure the circle is contained in the diamond?

10. Sep 19, 2008 #9
    I guess I am having trouble bc my professor wants me to show in terms of E and E/2 the containment. I know that [tex]\sqrt{(x-a)^{2}+(y-b)^{2}}[/tex]=E for an open ball in the usual and l x-a l +l y-b l=E for the taxicab. I do not know how to show the taxicab is contatined on the usual here.

11. Sep 19, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so you want to do inequalities instead of geometry. Then you want to find constants K and L such that K*(|x-a|+|y-b|)<=sqrt((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)<=L*(|x-a|+|y-b|). For L just think about the triangle inequality. For K, suppose sqrt((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)=r. Then |x-a|<=r and |y-b|<=r, right? So |x-a|+|y-b|<=????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?