Topology: Homeomorphic Mapping

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving showing the homeomorphism between the sets D and Y, where D is a partition of a square X and Y is a torus. The suggested approach is to map each side of the square onto a circle, and then combine them using a function to form the torus. The final step involves showing the continuity and bijectivity of this function to prove the homeomorphism.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Let X = [0,2 PI] x [0,2 PI] and let D be the partition of X that contains:
-{(x,y)} when x =/= 0,2 PI and y =/= 0,2 PI
-{(0,y),(2 PI,y)} for 0 <= y <= 2 PI
-{(x,0),(x,2 PI)} for 0 <= x <= 2 PI

Let U be the quotient topology on D induced by the natural map p: X -> D.

Prove that (D,U) is homeomorphic to S^1 x S^1 (let this = Y)

where S^1 = {(x,y) in R^2 : x^2 + y^2 = 1}

The Attempt at a Solution

OUTLINE:
Instead of going from D to Y I was thinking of going from X to Y. Essentially I would be going from a 2 PI by 2 PI square onto the torus of inner radius 0 and outer radius 2. Say this function is f. Then I could show that f is homeomorphic. Then I have a function p relating X and D, as well as a function f relating X and Y. Then I could relate D and Y and be done with the problem.

Is this the right idea for the problem? If so, I have been messing around with a few different functions for f but can't map that square onto the torus for the life of me. Can anyone give me a kind hand of assistance please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems to be on the right track. Going from X to Y would be a more straightforward way to show the homeomorphism between D and Y. However, instead of trying to map the entire square onto the torus, it might be easier to first map each individual side of the square onto a circle, and then combine them to form the torus.

Here is a possible approach:

1. Map the left and right sides of the square onto the circle S^1 by using the function f(x,y) = (0,y) and g(x,y) = (2 PI,y) respectively. These are the two sides that have been collapsed in D to form the two circles in Y.

2. Map the top and bottom sides of the square onto the circle S^1 by using the function h(x,y) = (x,0) and k(x,y) = (x,2 PI) respectively. These are the two sides that have been collapsed in D to form the two circles in Y.

3. Now, you have four separate circles (two from f and g, and two from h and k) in X that have been mapped onto the four separate circles in Y. You can then combine these four circles in X to form the torus by using a function that wraps the circles around each other. For example, you can use the function m(x,y) = (cosx,cosy,sinx,siny) where (cosx,sinx) and (cosy,siny) are the coordinates on the circle S^1.

4. Finally, you can show that this function m is continuous and bijective, and hence a homeomorphism between X and Y. Since p is also a homeomorphism between X and D, this means that D and Y are homeomorphic.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your proof!

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that do not change under continuous deformations. It focuses on the study of space and its properties such as shape, connectivity, and dimension.

2. What is homeomorphic mapping?

Homeomorphic mapping is a concept in topology that describes a continuous function between two spaces that preserves their topological properties. This means that two spaces are homeomorphic if they have the same shape and structure, even if they have different geometric properties.

3. How is homeomorphic mapping different from isomorphic mapping?

Homeomorphic mapping is concerned with preserving topological properties, while isomorphic mapping is concerned with preserving algebraic structures. In other words, homeomorphic mapping focuses on the shape and structure of spaces, while isomorphic mapping focuses on the operations and relationships between elements in a space.

4. What are some examples of homeomorphic mappings?

Some examples of homeomorphic mappings include stretching, bending, twisting, and folding of geometric objects without cutting or gluing. For instance, a circle and a square are homeomorphic because they can be deformed into each other without any tearing or pasting. Another example is a doughnut and a coffee mug, which are also homeomorphic.

5. How is homeomorphic mapping useful in real-world applications?

Homeomorphic mapping is useful in many fields, including physics, biology, and computer science. It allows us to study the properties of objects and spaces without being limited by their specific geometric properties. For instance, in physics, homeomorphic mapping is used to study the behavior of fluids and gases, while in computer science, it is used in data compression and image recognition algorithms.