Topology in Physics: Exploring Uses in Physics

In summary, topological spaces are used in physics to help talk about continuity and properties of spaces.
Josh0768
How are topological spaces used in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Josh0768 said:
How are topological spaces used in physics?
What do you know about topological spaces? And what do you know about physics?

martinbn said:
What do you know about topological spaces? And what do you know about physics?
Quantitatively and conceptually, I know about as much as first year physics student physics-wise. Regarding topology, I hardly even know what it means.

Josh0768 said:
Quantitatively and conceptually, I know about as much as first year physics student physics-wise. Regarding topology, I hardly even know what it means.
Topology in its basics plays an important role in physics, simply because Hilbert spaces where physics mostly takes place are topological vector spaces.

Topology is/provides, among other things, a framework to talk about continuity , and a way of compare properties of spaces. EDIT: You may want to consider whether standard Euclidean space, aka ##\mathbb R^4 ## is topologically the same as Space -Time 4-space. It is not, but maybe , e.g., @Orodruin can shed some more light on that.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
jedishrfu said:
Theres been some work in applying point set topology to black hole theory.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/blackhl.htm
Didn't convince me. A bit too simple and 3D for my taste, and partly wrong.
If it [EH] attaches to the exterior, then the known universe is topologically a closed set with respect to the black hole. If it [EH] attaches to the interior, then the known universe is topologically an open set.
It would only locally be closed or open. Additionally, the EH is hardly a real life hyperspace.

jedishrfu said:
Theres been some work in applying point set topology to black hole theory.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/blackhl.htm
Is that it? I would hardly call it work applying point set topology to black holes. All it says is that the outside of the EH is an open set, if you include the boundary it is a closed set. Same for the interior. That is trivial. Even the definition of a manifold to describe any spacetime (black hole or not) needs more topology than that.

A Google image search sometimes gives interesting places to look,

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...-wiz-img...0..35i39j0i5i30j0i8i30.BvsKh6bY2B4

https://room.eu.com/news/results-of-this-years-nobel-prize-in-physics-is-released
Edit, the Google search should have been for "topological spaces" but the search "topology in physics" might be of interest as well.

Spinnor said:
Edit, the Google search should have been for "topological spaces" but the search "topology in physics" might be of interest as well.
Yes, but in this physical context "topology" means something else than the mathematical term.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, but in this physical context "topology" means something else than the mathematical term.

My mistake. A Google search for the exact quote "topological spaces in physics" turns up one search item,

http://www.hep.caltech.edu/~fcp/math/HilbertSpace/HilbertSpace.pdf
A Google search "topological space on the arxiv preprint server" also turns up little but it did turn up this, "Theorists bridge space-time rips"

https://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/...mns/topLeftColumn/pdf/491019a.pdf?origin=ppub

in which the term topological space appears.

1. What is topology in physics?

Topology in physics is the study of the geometric properties of physical systems, such as the shape, connectivity, and arrangement of their components. It involves using mathematical tools to analyze and understand the behavior of physical systems, with a focus on the underlying structure and organization.

2. How is topology used in physics?

Topology has a wide range of applications in physics, including in condensed matter physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It can be used to describe the behavior of materials, the properties of particles, and the structure of the universe. Topological concepts such as symmetry, phase transitions, and topological defects are also important in many areas of physics.

3. What are some examples of topological phenomena in physics?

One well-known example is the quantum Hall effect, which is a topological phenomenon that occurs in certain materials at low temperatures and high magnetic fields. Another example is the existence of topological insulators, which are materials that have conducting surfaces but are insulating in the bulk due to their topological properties.

4. How does topology contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Topology plays a crucial role in cosmology, the study of the origin and evolution of the universe. It helps us understand the large-scale structure of the universe, including the distribution of galaxies and the formation of cosmic structures. Topological defects, such as cosmic strings and domain walls, are also important in theories about the early universe and the formation of galaxies.

5. What are some current research topics in topology and physics?

Some current research topics include the study of topological phases of matter, topological quantum computing, and topological materials. Other areas of interest include the application of topological concepts to understand the behavior of complex systems, such as networks and biological systems, and the use of topological methods in the study of quantum gravity and black holes.