1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology, lemiscate not an embedded submanifold

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the image of the curve Let β: (-π,π) → ℝ2 be given by β(t) = (sin2t, sint)
    is not an embedded submanifold of ℝ2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm not too great with the topology. I do see that β'(t) = (2cos2t, cost) ≠ 0 for all t. So β is a regular curve and as a result β is an immersion.

So here's what I have to work with.

A subset S of M is an embedded submanifold of M if:
    - S is a smooth Manifold ( the image of (-π,π) under β is smooth)
    -the inclusion map S to M is a smooth embedding

So this means that the topology of S (in our case β(-π,π)) is the subspace topology coming from M (in our case ℝ2)

We declare a set U[itex]\subset[/itex]β(-π,π) is open if and only if there exists a set W[itex]\subset[/itex]ℝ2 (namely the open discs) such that

U = W [itex]\cap[/itex] S

So to be more specific let's take U = β(-π/6, π/6), this set includes the origin.

Let W be the open unit disc B(0,1) which includes the origin. I've done a lot of reading where if we remove the origin we have trouble, not really seeing how W [itex]\cap[/itex] S will look like the letter X. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted