1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology of curved space

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Topology of curved space

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The distance between a point (r, theta) and a nearby point (r + dr, theta + d\theta) on a positively curved sphere is given by

[tex]
    ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2 \sin ^2 (r/R)d\theta ^2
    [/tex]

NOTE: I mean that ds^2 = (ds^2). My question is - how do I use this formula? What is what - can you explain it to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what your question is. You titled this "Topology of curved space" but topology does not concern itself with distances. You give a formula that involves R but don't say what R is. Apparently your "positively curved sphere" is a sphere of radius R. And if that is the case, then what are your coordinates? In particular, what is "r"?

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    We are dealing with cylindrical coordinates.

So ds is the distance between points (r, theta) and (r+dr, theta + d theta).

Yes, R is the radius of the sphere - I'm sorry I did not mention that earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?