Topology of Spacetime: Non-Compactness Not Required?

In summary, according to the speaker, it is possible to have a spacetime that is topologically identified as M\simeq\Sigma\times I, where I is some interval in \mathbb{R} and \Sigma is some three-dimensional manifold, provided that M is compact. However, this topology is not possible if spacetime is globally hyperbolic.
shoehorn
I'm familiar with the idea that there are very strong reasons to believe that possible spacetimes [itex](M,g)[/itex] for the universe can have restricted topologies. For example, I believe Hawking proved during the 70s that, given a four-dimensional manifold [itex]M[/itex] and a Lorentzian metric [itex]g[/itex], then [itex](M,g)[/itex] can be regarded as a spacetime if and only if [itex]M[/itex] is non-compact.

However, we also know that we don't really need to deal with spacetime concepts when looking at general relativity. We can, for example, propose that the spacetime is topologically identified as [itex]M\simeq\Sigma\times I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is some interval in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is some three-dimensional manifold.

The question I have is this. If we take [itex]M[/itex] as being non-compact, surely that doesn't imply that [itex]\Sigma[/itex] also has to be non-compact? For example, we could presumably take [itex]M\simeq S^3\times I[/itex] as being a spacetime since [itex]S^3[/itex], which is compact, can be usually be used to foliate [itex]M[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
shoehorn said:
For example, I believe Hawking proved during the 70s that, given a four-dimensional manifold [itex]M[/itex] and a Lorentzian metric [itex]g[/itex], then [itex](M,g)[/itex] can be regarded as a spacetime if and only if [itex]M[/itex] is non-compact.

Geroch showed that if [itex]M[/itex] is compact, then [itex](M,g)[/itex] has closed timelike curves.

shoehorn said:
We can, for example, propose that the spacetime is topologically identified as [itex]M\simeq\Sigma\times I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is some interval in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is some three-dimensional manifold.

Geroch showed that this can be done if spacetime is globally hyperbolic.

shoehorn said:
The question I have is this. If we take [itex]M[/itex] as being non-compact, surely that doesn't imply that [itex]\Sigma[/itex] also has to be non-compact? For example, we could presumably take [itex]M\simeq S^3\times I[/itex] as being a spacetime since [itex]S^3[/itex], which is compact, can be usually be used to foliate [itex]M[/itex].

Sure, this is the usual topology taken for closed universe Friedmann-Robertson-Walker spacetimes

Thanks!

1. What is the topology of spacetime?

The topology of spacetime refers to the way in which points in space and time are connected and related to each other. It describes the overall structure and geometry of the universe.

2. What does it mean for a spacetime to be non-compact?

A spacetime is considered non-compact if it does not have a finite volume. This means that the spacetime extends infinitely in all directions and there is no boundary or edge.

3. Is non-compactness required for the topology of spacetime?

No, non-compactness is not a required feature of the topology of spacetime. There are many different possible topologies for spacetime, and some of them may be compact while others are non-compact.

4. How does the topology of spacetime affect the behavior of matter and energy?

The topology of spacetime can influence the behavior of matter and energy in a variety of ways. For example, it can impact the curvature of spacetime, the speed of light, and the gravitational forces between objects.

5. What implications does non-compactness have for our understanding of the universe?

Non-compactness has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe may be infinite in size, with no boundary or edge. This has implications for the expansion of the universe, the existence of parallel universes, and other concepts in cosmology.