1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology of spacetime

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    I'm familiar with the idea that there are very strong reasons to believe that possible spacetimes [itex](M,g)[/itex] for the universe can have restricted topologies. For example, I believe Hawking proved during the 70s that, given a four-dimensional manifold [itex]M[/itex] and a Lorentzian metric [itex]g[/itex], then [itex](M,g)[/itex] can be regarded as a spacetime if and only if [itex]M[/itex] is non-compact.

However, we also know that we don't really need to deal with spacetime concepts when looking at general relativity. We can, for example, propose that the spacetime is topologically identified as [itex]M\simeq\Sigma\times I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is some interval in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is some three-dimensional manifold.

The question I have is this. If we take [itex]M[/itex] as being non-compact, surely that doesn't imply that [itex]\Sigma[/itex] also has to be non-compact? For example, we could presumably take [itex]M\simeq S^3\times I[/itex] as being a spacetime since [itex]S^3[/itex], which is compact, can be usually be used to foliate [itex]M[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geroch showed that if [itex]M[/itex] is compact, then [itex](M,g)[/itex] has closed timelike curves.

Geroch showed that this can be done if spacetime is globally hyperbolic.

Sure, this is the usual topology taken for closed universe Friedmann-Robertson-Walker spacetimes

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?