Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology of the unit interval

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    Hi all,
    I need help with something basic but I'm not sure how to handle it. The doubt is about how to consider the topology of the unit interval I=[0,1] inherited of the real line with its usual topology (intervals of the type (a,b)).

I think that is just to pay attention to the definition, I mean, the open subsets of 'I' would be the intersection of a usual open interval and 'I'. In this way, 'I' itself would be a open subset of the inherited topology, and all the sets of the form [0,x), (a,b) and (y,1] -with 0 < x,a,b,y <1 - would be open sets of the inherited topology.

Please, can anyone tell me if I'm right?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2
    Sounds about right.

Note that some sets in the subspace are open sets even if they aren't open in the larger space.

For instance, [0, 1] is closed in R. But when we consider [0, 1] as a subspace, it's open (because the entire topological space is required to be open in any topology).

Similarly, [0, 1), which is neither open nor closed in R is open in [0, 1].

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Thank you Tac-Tics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook