1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology Proof

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if X is compact and Y is Hausdorff then a continuous bijection [tex] f: X \longrightarrow Y [/tex] is a homeomorphism. (You may assume that a closed subspace of a compact space is compact, and that an identification space of a compact space is compact).

2. Relevant equations

A space X is compact if every open cover {[tex] \left{ U_{\lambda} | \lambda \in \Lambda \right}[/tex]} , [tex] \cup U_{\lambda} = X [/tex].
    A space is Hausdorff if for any pair of distinct points x,y in Y, there exist open sets separating them.

3. The attempt at a solution

Going on the hint of what I can assume, I define the equivalence class x~x' if f(x) = f(x'), with projection p(x) = [x]. Then f = gp: X -> X/~ -> Y. It may be easier to prove p and g are homeomorphisms than f. The identification space is compact, and so is any closed subset. We are given that f is a continuous bijection, so only need to show that f inverse is continuous, ie f(U) is open for any U open, or perhaps more easily that f(C) is closed for C closed in this case. A compact subset of a Hausdorff space is closed, so if I can prove that p maps a compact space to a compact space then I think I've proved p is a homeomorphism.
    Then I would need to prove g.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    I must admit that I don't really see why you would use the identification space. I don't think that your identification will help much because f is injective so f(x)=f(x') imply x=x' which means that ~ is just equality and therefore X is naturally homeomorphic to X/~ by the correspondence [itex]x \leftrightarrow \{x\}[/itex]. Thus proving g a homeomorphism is pretty much the same as proving f a homeomorphism.

Anyway the way I would do it without identification spaces is to realize that a continuous function maps compact subspaces to compact subspaces in general (either refer to your book or show it directly by considering a covering of f(C) where C compact, taking pre-images of the covering, using compactness to find a finite subcover of the pre-images and then finally using this to get a finite subcover of f(C)) and then simply assume [itex]C \subseteq X[/itex] is closed and show:
    C closed => C compact => f(C) compact => f(C) closed.

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3
    Yeah you're right about my identification space, I didn't think about that. I think I was already going in the direction of showing compact spaces map to compact spaces, I'll try you're suggestion.

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4
    Ok I copied the structure of an earlier proof and it seems straight forward:
    Take a compact subspace C in X. Let U be an open covering of f(C) with sets [tex] U_{\lambda} [/tex]. Define an open covering V of C by taking [tex] V_{\lambda} = f^{-1} \left( U_{\lambda} \right) [/tex]. Note that the openness of V relies on the continuity of f, and the fact that it covers C relies on the fact that f is bijective. Now taking a finite refinement of V gives a finite refinement of U, so f(C) is compact.

If C is closed, then C is compact in X. If f(C) is compact then f(C) is closed in Y, since Y is Hausdorff. So f(C) is closed for every C closed. Hence f inverse is continuous.

Does that look ok?

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5
    Yes except for one minor detail:
    You don't use the bijectiveness here. If [itex]x \in C[/itex], then [itex]f(x) \in f(C)[/itex] so there exists some [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \in U_\lambda[/itex] because U is a covering of f(C), and then [itex]x \in f^{-1}(U_\lambda) = V_\lambda[/itex]. Thus the pre-images [itex]\{V_\lambda\}[/itex] cover C whether f is bijective or not. Apart from that it's good.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6
    My definition of a covering is that the union of the [tex] V_{\lambda} [/tex] is strictly equal to C, not a subset. It may be that all the x in C are covered, but if the map is not injective then [tex] f^{\left (-1) \right} [/tex] could give out more elements than are in the set C. Otherwise the bijective property would be used. Now I realised I only used injectivity, I wonder if surjectivity is necessary?

8. Nov 15, 2009 #7
    In that case: Yes you used it, but you don't need it. As you have observed [itex]f^{-1}(U_\lambda)[/itex] is open in X, so [itex]V_\lambda' = f^{-1}(U_\lambda) \cap C[/itex] is open in C given the subspace topology, so C is covered by [itex]\{V_\lambda'\}[/itex] but of course for this problem it doesn't really matter since you know that f is bijective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook