Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Topology Proof

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

show that T:=(A subset X |A = 0 or X\A is finite) is a topology on X,
    2. Relevant equations

We need to show 3 conditions.

1: X,0 are in T
    2: The union of infinite open set are in T
    3: The finite intersections of open sets are open.

3. The attempt at a solution

We see that [itex]A \subset X [/itex] is open in (T1 space) asX\A is finite

To show condition 1
    if A = 0 the empty set it is in T
    and A\X = X than it is in T.

To show 2

let [itex]A \subset X [/itex] open in T1 as X\A is finite

Let [itex]\alpha \in I [/itex] be an indexing set, [itex] A_\alpha \in T [/itex] so that [itex] A \subset X [/itex] be open as X\A is finite.

Than the [itex]\cup_{\alpha \in I} [/itex] X\[itex]A_\alpha = \cap _{\alpha \in I}[/itex] (X\[itex]A_\alpha[/itex])

Either each of the sets ( X\[itex]A_\alpha[/itex]) = X , in which case the intersection is all of X, or at least one of them is finite , in which case the intersection is a subset of a finite set and hence finite.

To show 3

Let [itex]A_1,A_2,A_3...A_n \subset X [/itex]be open as X\A is finite or all of X.

To show that [itex] \cap A_{n} \in T [/itex]we must show that [itex]\cap[/itex] X\[itex]A_n[/itex] is either finite or all of X.

But [itex]\cap X[/itex]\[itex]A_{n} = \cup X[/itex]\[itex]A_{n}[/itex].

Either this set is a union of finite sets and hence finite, or for some X\[itex]A_{i} i \in I = X [/itex]and the union is all of X.

Thus (A,T) is a topological space.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    You have the right idea for all of the conditions. Applying the set theory properties was the key.

Have you heard of the countable complement topology?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook