Topology Question: Is A Open if Open Subsets of A Union to A?

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the speaker is unsure if they can conclude that A is open based on the given information. They mention that A is a subset of R and that the sets are open in A, but not necessarily in R. They also provide a counterexample where A is a non-open subset of R.
JasonJo
Suppose I have some subset of R, not necessarily an interval, let it be denoted as A. I have some union (might be countable, might be finite, might be uncountable) of sets where each set is an open set of A and the union of the open sets is equal to A. Can I conclude that A is open?

I am not sure because the sets are open in A, not necessarily open in R. I don't know much about A other than it is some subset of R.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't conclude that A is open. For a trivial example, take a non-open subset A of R. Note that A is open in itself.

If all that you know is that the sets are open in A this can't tell you anything about whether A is open in R. E.g. A is always open in A.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and their geometric structures, such as continuity, convergence, and connectedness.

2. What is an open set?

In topology, an open set is a set that contains all of its boundary points. This means that any point in the set can be surrounded by a small open ball that is also contained within the set.

3. What is a closed set?

A closed set is the complement of an open set, meaning it contains all of its boundary points. In other words, a set is closed if its complement is open.

4. What does it mean for a set to be open in topology?

A set is considered open in topology if it contains all of its interior points, meaning every point in the set has a neighborhood that is also contained within the set.

5. Is A open if open subsets of A union to A?

Yes, if the union of all open subsets of A is equal to A, then A is considered an open set in topology. This is known as the open set axiom.