1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology question

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the torus excluding a disc homeomorphic to?

What is the boundary of a torus (excluding a disc)?

3. The attempt at a solution
    RP^2 X RP^2?

As a guess.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Excluding a disk? You mean you slice a disk out of the torus? What's left is simply connected and looks to me like it is homeomorhic to a ball.
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    Yes, slice out a disk. A torus is a surface so it hollow? A ball is a solid. The torus still has a hole in it. How can it be homeomorphic to a ball?

I'd say it is homeomorphic to a proper torous which is homeomorphic to what?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  5. Nov 4, 2007 #4
    What is the boundary of a torus excluding a disc?
  6. Nov 4, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is it homeorphic to? Infinitely many things, obviously. But I don't immediately see them as being interesting. Now, what is it homotopic to, there is an interesting question.

The boundary of a torus excluding a (closed) disc is obvious, surely. What do you think happens to an object without a boundary if we remove something like a disc?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?