Topology Q: Curved Space w/out Higher Dimensions?

• Thread starter Pavel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, intrinsic curvature is mathematically defined, but it corresponds to our intuition. It is possible to embed a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional Euclidean space, but this does not mean that a physical model of the surface can be constructed.
Pavel
Hi, does it make sense to posit a curved (hall of mirrors type) space without higher dimensions? In other words, if I say we live in a 3 dimensional torus shaped universe, does that statement necessarily entail there's at least a 4 dimensional overall hyperspace? Or can I have a torus curved into itself by itself, without it being in a higher dimensional context?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
There are two kinds of curvature: intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic curvature depends only on the space and not on the embedding of that space into some higher-dimensional space. In fact, though it is a theorem that every <some weak properties here> topological space can be embedded in a Euclidean "flat" space, we usually try to define all the relevant properties without reference to such an ambient space, so we can really view it as an object of its own (though, frankly, I have trouble imagining a two-dimensional surface without using three dimensions).

Hi CompuChip,
CompuChip said:
Intrinsic curvature depends only on the space and not on the embedding of that space into some higher-dimensional space. In fact, though it is a theorem that every <some weak properties here> topological space can be embedded in a Euclidean "flat" space, ...
When one says that, for example, an "intrinsically curved" 3-dimensional surface can be embedded in a Euclidean space, does "embedding" refer solely to a mathematical property, or is it also a tangible physical property?

How can it be a tangible physical property if we can't actually construct a solid 3-dimensional physical model that has simple 3-dimensional surfaces?

It seems to me that any physical embodiment of a 3-dimensional surface unquestionably requires the physical existence of a 4th spatial dimension.

Jon

Last edited:
"Embedding" is indeed well-defined mathematically, but that definition is such that it corresponds to our intuition. For example, a two-dimensional surface can often be embedded in three-dimensional Euclidean space. In that case, we can actually make a physical model of it which we can touch, etc. Of course, since we only have three dimensions available, it is not possible to physically construct a manifold which can only be embedded in spaces of dimension > 3. So the mathematical possibility of embedding in higher dimensional spaces says nothing about the physical possibility, for example: one can construct smooth manifolds of arbitrary high dimensions (just think about the n-sphere, which can be embedded in an (n + 1)-dimensional Euclidean space) without ever being able to really visualize them. The fact that we can construct a 120435 dimensional manifold of course does not at all imply the existence of 120436 dimensions.

Off-topic, that last remark reminds me of this joke
A mathematician and his best friend, an engineer, attend a public lecture on geometry in thirteen-dimensional space. "How did you like it?" the mathematician wants to know after the talk. "My head's spinning," the engineer confesses. "How can you develop any intuition for thirteen-dimensional space?" "Well, it's not even difficult. All I do is visualize the situation in n-dimensional space and then set n = 13."
Taken from the first source found by Google

CompuChip, I think the joke is very much on-topic! Thanks.

Jon

CompuChip, thank you very much for the explanation. Loved the joke too :)

Pavel

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and the relationships between different geometric shapes. It focuses on the concept of continuity and the preservation of shape under transformations such as stretching, bending, and twisting.

What is curved space?

Curved space refers to a type of space where the geometry is not flat, meaning that the laws of Euclidean geometry do not apply. In curved space, the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line, and the angles of a triangle do not add up to 180 degrees.

What does it mean to have a curved space without higher dimensions?

In mathematics, the concept of space can be extended to include more than three dimensions. However, in the study of topology, curved space can be understood and analyzed without the need for higher dimensions. This means that we can describe and visualize curved space using only three dimensions.

What are some examples of curved spaces?

Some common examples of curved spaces include the surface of a sphere, the shape of a saddle, and the curvature of the Earth. These spaces have different properties and behaviors compared to flat, Euclidean space.

How is topology used in real-life applications?

Topology has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to analyze the flow of fluids, the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and the structure of networks and data systems. It also has applications in biology, medicine, and economics.