1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology question

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    the question is to prove Urysohn's metrization theorem. But there some steps I need to show first.
    Assuming X is normal, second countable. We show there is a homeomorphism of X onto a subspace of [0,1]^w (the Hilbert cube which is metrizable), so X is metrizable.

We first show we can assume that X is infinite.
    Suppose X is finite. Since X is normal, it is T1, so every singleton is closed. Hence we can see that every subset of X is closed so every subset is open. So X has the discrete topology. So from here, how can I show that X is metrizable (what would be a homeomorphism between X and [0,1]^w ?).

Now, I can show that X has a countably infinite basis {B1,B2,...} where each Bn is neither X nor the empty set. How do I show that the set of all ordered pairs (Bi,Bk) such that closure(Bi) C Bk is countably infinite?
    I can show it's countable because that set is a subset of {B1,B2,...} X {B1,B2,...} which is countable. But how do I show it is infinite?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?