1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology question

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the fundamental group of [itex]T^{n}[/itex], the torus with n holes, by finding the planar representation of [itex]T^{n}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    I'm just having a hard time finding the planar representation of [itex]T^{n}[/itex]. I can't picture it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can see how the picture attached rolls up into a torus. It rolls into a cylinder and then curls around into a doughnut. I am just having a hard time seeing how I can get a torus with 2 holes, 3 holes etc.

Thanks!

P.S. this isn't a very rigorous class. If I just understand how/why then the teacher is happy. He's not much of a proof guy. He's happy with geometric/picture arguments.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Can you visualize the double torus? You should also be thinking in 3-dimensional space and not the plane.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    I can visualize it in 3-D but I'm having a hard time imagining cutting it down into an identification space

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Find a space homotopy equivalent to the double torus whose fundamental group you can compute. The 3-dimensional picture will help with this.

You can also do this by decomposing the double torus into a cell complex, as you suggested above, but I have always found that computation less obvious.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. Sep 30, 2012 #5
    Do you mean something like a sphere with 2 handles?

I could see the sphere with 1 handle has a group isomorphic to [itex]Z^{2}[/itex]:
    G=<[itex]g_{1}[/itex],[itex]g_{2}[/itex]|[itex]g_{1}[/itex]*[itex]g_{1}[/itex]^-1,[itex]g_{2}[/itex]*[itex]g_{2}[/itex]^-1> ??

So maybe the sphere with 2 handles has a group isomorphic to [itex]Z^{4}[/itex] ??

7. Sep 30, 2012 #6

jgens

Gold Member

If you know how to compute the fundamental group of the sphere with 2 handles, then that works. The double torus is also homotopy equivalent to the wedge sum of two tori, which is (in my opinion) the easiest way to compute the fundamental group.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook