Topology Problem 1: Show A is Open in X - Munkres pg 83

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, this problem asks if a subset of a space is open. It appears that you need to understand basic rules of mathematical logic in order to answer this question.
waht
This is a problem 1 from Munkres pg 83. I'm trying to solve for self study.

Let X be a topological space; let A be a subset of X. Suppose that for each x belonging in A there is an open set U containing x such that U is a subset of A. Show that A is open in X.

I'm not sure exactly how an open subset of A makes the whole A open.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, X and the empty set are open in X. Also, an arbitrary union of open sets is open, and a finite intersection of open sets is open.

re

This is what I came up with,

Given an open set U sub n (where n belongs to J) containing x, then

A = The union of U sub n (n belongs to J) , by definition "an arbitrary union of open sets is open"

hence A is open,

would this be ok, thanks

Yes, that's right. But you have to prove that A is equal to the union of those U's.

So for each x in A, there exists an open set U(x) such that [itex]x \in U(x) \subseteq A[/itex].

Let O be the union of all such open sets, [itex]O = \bigcup_{x \in A} U(x)[/itex].

Show that O is open, and that O = A.

(Remember, the union of any collection of open sets is open, by definition).

waht, you seem to need to practice reading definitions and using them directly. this problem is almost completely trivial logically, so not getting it may mean you have a gap in understanding doing proofs.

you might want to consult some elementary proof books, like An introduction to mathematical thinking, or Principles of mathematics, or even the logic chapter of Harold Jacobs excellent high school book Geometry, since many high schools no longer offer such fine geometry training including proofs.

I am also puzzled that you find yourself in a course like Munkres without this training. Does your school offer a proofs course which you may have missed? If so, you might try that first. Or do they just think plunging right into Munkres is sufficient practice in making proofs?

You really need basic rules of mathematical logic first.

best wishes.

re

I would love to take a topology course since I find it so fascinating but it is not going to happen. So I purchased a copy of Munkres based on excellent reviews and I'm studying it at my spare time.

My math background is past diffrential equations and linear algebra, but have been studying other subjects when time allowed. At the beginning, such elementary proof seemed impossible but I'm starting to connect the dots. I still don't get even 1% of the book heh.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and structures of spaces. It studies the concepts of continuity, convergence, compactness, and connectedness, and how they relate to each other.

2. What is an open set?

An open set is a subset of a topological space in which every point has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. In other words, for every point in an open set, there exists a small enough open ball around that point that is also contained within the set.

3. How do you show that a set is open?

To show that a set is open, you must prove that for every point in the set, there exists an open ball around that point that is also contained within the set. This can be done by explicitly constructing open balls or by using the definition of openness to show that the set satisfies the necessary conditions.

4. What is the purpose of showing that A is open in X?

Showing that a set A is open in a topological space X is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of A within the larger space X. It also helps us to identify which points in X are contained within A and how A relates to other open sets in X.

5. How does this topology problem relate to real-life applications?

Topology has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used in the analysis of networks and communication systems, in the study of fluid dynamics, and in the design of electronic circuits. In these applications, topology helps to understand the underlying structure and behavior of complex systems.