1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology - Quotient Spaces

Tags:
  1. Mar 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (part of a bigger question)
    For ##x,y \in \mathbb{R}^n##, write ##x \sim y \iff## there exists ##M \in GL(n,\mathbb{R})## such that ##x=My##.
    Show that the quotient space ##\mathbb{R}\small/ \sim## consists of two elements.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, it is easy to see that the first equivalence class is ##\{0\}##. This means that the second equivalence class should be ##\mathbb{R}^n - \{ 0 \} ##.
    But I don't know how to show that given ##x,y\in \mathbb{R}^n##, I can find a matrix that connects between them.
    Any suggestions will be great.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If they are linearly dependent, it's easy. If not, why not make a basis with both of them?

4. Mar 5, 2017 #3
    Thank you for the answer.
    However, I still don't get how it will help me with taking them both and complete it to a basis.

5. Mar 5, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The matrix (expressed in the coordinates of the new basis) that simply swaps the two and leaves the rest invariant shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted