Is it a mistake to use this topology textbook for my class?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's concern over the required textbook for their topology course. They are unsure about the quality of the textbook and are considering buying other books instead. Other students provide their opinions on different topology books and advise the student to stick with the required text or use multiple books for clarification. The student ultimately decides to purchase both the required text and a more advanced book.
malicx
So, the list of required texts for my fall courses came out today and I found that my topology course is requiring this piece of crap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441928197/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Normally I'm not scared away by bad reviews, but in this case I can't help thinking that the instructor is making a terrible mistake, since Munkres or Willard are pretty much the be-all-end-all of point-set topology books.

So, I'm looking for advice. I am thinking about either buying Munkres or Willard and then just photocopying possible homework sets from a friend/library. Does anyone have any input? Will material coverage be generally similar enough that I'll be able to do that? Should I email the prof and ask him what the heck he's thinking (just kidding, although I really do wonder...)?

EDIT: Additionally, is it much more difficult following a different text than a class uses? This is the first class I'm considering using a different book for

Thanks for any help,
Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres is a solid book you can't go wrong with, it will cover all your basic material. What makes you think your class' textbook is useless?

One of my topology courses taught a few sections out of armstrong. It is a very dense textbook and can be hard to follow at times as Armstrong likes to bury his theorems and definitions. As far as an introductory course on topology I would definitely recommend Munkres over Armstrong, but once you have a background Armstrong is okay too.

If you think that Armstrong is bad you should check out Goodman's Beginning Topology. Worst introductory topology book ever.

Willard's book is very good and it is cheap. I don't know anything about Munkres but his book is probably the most popular topology book; it is however ridiculously expensive, even used, as is the case with many popular textbooks. I don't see the point in getting three general topology books unless you're quite certain you want to go into a field that uses a lot of point-set topology.

If Armstrong's book is the required text then you must get it. It seems you can get it used for a reasonable price. Don't bother e-mailing the prof. You're only a student who hasn't even taken the course yet so he won't much care for what you have to say. Maybe wait for the course evaluation that comes at the end if you still think the book sucks, it may grow on you instead.
Don't worry about the material the books cover, they will all cover the necessary basics (as long as you get an undergrad book).

qspeechc said:
Willard's book is very good and it is cheap. I don't know anything about Munkres but his book is probably the most popular topology book; it is however ridiculously expensive, even used, as is the case with many popular textbooks. I don't see the point in getting three general topology books unless you're quite certain you want to go into a field that uses a lot of point-set topology.

If Armstrong's book is the required text then you must get it. It seems you can get it used for a reasonable price. Don't bother e-mailing the prof. You're only a student who hasn't even taken the course yet so he won't much care for what you have to say. Maybe wait for the course evaluation that comes at the end if you still think the book sucks, it may grow on you instead.
Don't worry about the material the books cover, they will all cover the necessary basics (as long as you get an undergrad book).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably just buy armstrong and willard both. They are both pretty cheap and I believe willard is supposed to be more advanced.

willard's book is more advanced & a lot of the problems are highly non-trivial. don't feel bad if you don't solve all of them on your first go. it's worth getting just for the notes & bibliography in the back though.

malicx said:
EDIT: Additionally, is it much more difficult following a different text than a class uses? This is the first class I'm considering using a different book for

It can be. If your teacher actually follows the book closely then you may want to still concentrate on using Armstrong as your main text and use other texts when you need clarification or better exposition. One thing that helps if you do end up using different books is to choose one set of notation to work with, hopefully one that you're naturally inclined towards. This will save you some time if you for instance decide to take down the better or best proof of a particular theorem from the books you're using.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric shapes that are unchanged by continuous deformations. It focuses on concepts such as continuity, connectedness, and compactness.

2. What are the key topics covered in a topology textbook?

A topology textbook typically covers topics such as point-set topology, topological spaces, continuous functions, connectedness, compactness, and separation axioms.

3. What are some popular topology textbooks?

Some popular topology textbooks include "Topology" by James Munkres, "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson, "Topology: A First Course" by James R. Munkres, and "Elementary Topology" by O. Ya. Viro, O. A. Ivanov, V. M. Kharlamov, and N. Yu. Netsvetaev.

4. How do I choose the right topology textbook?

To choose the right topology textbook, consider your level of familiarity with the subject, your learning style, and the topics covered in the textbook. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students or professors.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials for topology textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplementary materials available for topology textbooks. These include lecture notes, practice problems, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some textbooks may also have accompanying websites or solution manuals available.